Screw-on lids and storage???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinoD

Reaction score
I just bottled 5 gallons each of strawberry and blueberry over the weekend.

While at the shop picking up some cases of 750's, I also got a case of 1/2 gallons. I did 3 of the 1/2 gallons of each wine, then the rest in 750's. The 1/2 gallons have screw-on lids with a waxed cardboard disc inside. Should these be stored upright?? On their sides?? How long should the wine stay good in these??

Growlers do not provide a good seal against air. I'm not sure how much you need to be worried about that with wine...but beer goes flat in about 1-2 weeks with these.

Do you think, on their sides to keep the neck full, if they didn't leak, they would effectively keep air out??

I have some food grade silicon that I use for diving, and also coating my keg gaskets and growler gaskets before I use them.
If I forget, I don't get a good airtight storage. When I use them the seal last for many months.

I have some food grade silicon that I use for diving, and also coating my keg gaskets and growler gaskets before I use them.
If I forget, I don't get a good airtight storage. When I use them the seal last for many months.

Where might a fellow purchase food-grade silicon??

Back