Screening a Pump for Keg CIP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashevillain

Level 3 Potions Master
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Stainless-Sprinkling-Irrigation-Pressure/dp/B0721JSCG2/ref=sr_1_5?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1520895443&sr=8-5&keywords=sprinkler+pump&refinements=p_85:2470955011

89$ Sprinkler pump, 1 hp, 845GPH, 144ft max lift, 64 PSI.

I've seen some similar builds with sprinkler pumps and non heat/chem rated sub pumps for corny keg CIP.

I use Craft Meister's alkaline brewery wash, I believe its a bit less heavy duty than PBW, easier to rinse, and less likely to deposit or cause issues with the pump.

I'll use my 15gal kettle with 2-5gal of solution as a reservoir and let the ball valve serve as a return to pump. The send to pump will run to the keg posts for CIP, and I will see if a CIP ball is necessary.

The keg will sit on a grill rack above the kettle to recirculate. I want this to be as simple as possible, the pump and temp being the crux of what makes this build work.

This setup will allow me to maintain heat on the cleaning solution ~120-140* periodically with propane without risk of damaging something like a submersible pump.

I have noticed people using this build with heated solution without much issue over a period of time, so I am hopeful that recircing heated solution with this pump won't be a problem, but I am very open to suggestions.

The rotation will hopefully be:
-30sec manual high pressure city water rinse,
-5min heated cleaning solution
-3min city water rinse
-3min starsan/saniclean/acid#5 cycle
-co2 pressurization.

I think it should be possible to make kegs beer ready at <15min per with multiple kegs cycling through different parts of the rotation simultaneously.

Any input is appreciated, I will share a detailed thread on the build once I get started. Hoping to make a monster time saver to keep the homebrew flowing!

Please let me know any feedback or suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't let this comment slow you down.

I always kinda like the idea of a cleaning system like this, but it always seems like a lot going on for something that for most folks isn't a high-volume operation. I have 16 kegs and when things are rolling there's not a lot of cleaning going on, maybe a keg a week. Worst-case if the boys are over I might have to clean two kegs at a time.

It takes me 20 minutes to totally tear down a keg to pieces, clean everything, reassemble and fill with sanitizer. With the setup time I'm not sure I see a time-saver in quasi-automagic keg/carboy washers. Have I been missing something all these years?

Cheers!

So I built a keg washer a few years ago with the same idea as you and thought it would be easy to just use on a keg or 2 whenever, its not.

As Day Tripper has already pointed out it doesnt make sense to break out all your stuff for one or 2 kegs, I have 14 so I'll usually just wait until I have at least half dirty and clean them all at once.

I will say that when I do clean them I can clean them all in a little over an hour with set up and tear down.

Yeah i feel that for 1-2, but im normally cleaning 8-10 at a time, and half have been fermented in which is different than serving keg dirty.

Any thoughts/suggestions on the pump?

I have a very similar pump for irrigation and it's quite powerful. I think it'd be a good fit for the task...[edit] but I can't speak to the hot-ish temperature thing...

Cheers!

Ok if you are cleaning that many kegs at once then yes it will be beneficial.

Sorry I cant help with a pump either, I use an electric water pump from a BMW so temerature isnt an issue for me.

Does that electric heater pump really move enough volume at suitable pressure to run a washer, and will it stand up to caustics?

Cheers!

It is the water pump for the engine and yes it has great pressure and will flow a lot of liquid, it has 3/4" in and out and has to move enough coolant to keep a car engine around 200 degrees. As far as caustics not exactly sure, I've run BLC through it no problem and I'm going to use some PBW in the near future so I'll post back when I do.

DayTripper i couldnt figure out how to post a link but if you search "keg washer and wort chiller pump" you'll find the thread I posted with some pics.

Last edited:
If it'll stand up to the caustics that would be a good solution wrt the temperature issue.
Given the marque I expect new ones would be prohibitively expensive, however. Used, otoh, might be a good deal...

Cheers!

Back