scottish ale gone wonky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbruce

Reaction score
So.. I brewed this:

7.5 lb Light LME
8oz roasted barley
4oz peated malt

1oz EK Goldings @60
1oz EK Goldings @20

Wyeast : 17somethingoranother Scottish ale

1.5lbs of LME added to separate 1gal boil and reduced to about 1/3 in attempt of kettle caramelization. Fermenting at 60°-62°

My issue is that my first sample reading is WAY too smokey for what I wanted in a Scottish ale..

Brushing it off as a "learning experience" ;-) so I'm thinking maybe I can add something to secondary that might complement the smokeyness and just adopt it as just a "smoked beer" someone I know suggested some cherries maybe?

So after all that my question is.. anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what this soon to be decided ingredient might be?

Pulled pork. You really can't go wrong.

Seriously, I am not sure what to add to the beer to complement the smokiness. You might want to let it age a month or two in the bottle and then decide how bad it is.

how long has this been conditioning? IIRC smoke will fade over time. you might be able to leave it alone and catch it at a more drinkable stage.

Its only been in primary for a week, I was unaware that the smoke would fade in time. That may be the option I go with then.

I have thought that in a worse case scenario I would just cook with it ;-)
My mouth is actually watering thinking if making some gizzards with this stuff lol

i think it will work out for you. i remember some people having the opposite issue and complaining of not having any smoke. at 4oz you're not at crazy levels. i would let it run your usual course of conditioning/bottling. either way you can cook with it :D

Bottle it as you normally would, stick it in a dark, dank corner for about 6 to 8 months and then start sampling the bottles. The smoke flavor does smooth out after a fashion. When I do my Scotch Ale with the side reduction, I leave out the peat smoked malt. If I don't have time for the reduction, I add in 1 oz/2.5 gal and get sort of a similar effect in terms of adding a peaty complexity to the brew.

I wonder if the taste you are getting is peat rather than smoke? I've never had good results with peat malt (I've actually only tasted the malt and it was enough for me not to put it in my Scottish ales or any beer for that matter).

On topic though I might blend it with some bud light or buy some fruit ale and mix it with that.

Back