Scottish Ale Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
have to admit in over a year of alot of brewing, did my first scottish ale (not sure why it took me so long). I've had it in primary for 3 weeks right now and looking for recommendations.....I'm not usually a secondary guy but was thinking of doing secondary on this and maybe bringing the temps down to about 55 or so for another 3 weeks....Any thoughts or recommendations on this. Has been in primary at 63 degrees.

What is your reasoning for the secondary on this one if you typically don't do them? At this point, I'd cold crash it for a week and then bottle/keg.

What is your reasoning for the secondary on this one if you typically don't do them? At this point, I'd cold crash it for a week and then bottle/keg.

because 6 weeks isn't my ideal in primary....I'm going to let it mature a bit in secondary for another few weeks before I bottle.

I view doing a secondary as just another opportunity to oxidize or introduce a bug, so I only do it if I'm adding more fermentables that will kick off another round of fermentation. If you're contemplating doing it purely for clearing and aging, a nice week-long cold crash at around 35° will drop most of the solids out of suspension, but still leave enough yeast to carbonate. Basically, all the benefits of a 3-week secondary without any of the risk or hassle. That's just my advice. Others may chime in with different ideas. Do whatever makes the most sense to you.

I view doing a secondary as just another opportunity to oxidize or introduce a bug, so I only do it if I'm adding more fermentables that will kick off another round of fermentation. If you're contemplating doing it purely for clearing and aging, a nice week-long cold crash at around 35° will drop most of the solids out of suspension, but still leave enough yeast to carbonate. Basically, all the benefits of a 3-week secondary without any of the risk or hassle. That's just my advice. Others may chime in with different ideas. Do whatever makes the most sense to you.

Thanks, appreciate the help. I normally just go to bottle so unless there's a huge reason not to, i'll do that and let it age for a couple months there.

Back