Scottish 60 Schilling Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schol-R-LEA

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since the subject came up in another thread, I thought I would take a shot at designing a Scottish Light 60/- ale. I know that the peated malt isn't strictly speaking accurate, but I know it isn't uncommon to use when replicating the Scottish styles. I would probably want to use a very long boil, at least 120 min. (with my setup, that's sort of inevitable anyway), to get some carmelization. Any advice on this before I go ahead and brew it (probably not for a while, as I still need to set up my fermentation chamber)?

Trainspotting 60/-
5 lbs Maris Otter Pale Ale malt
8 oz brown malt
4 oz 60L crystal malt
4 oz peat smoked malt
2 oz roasted barley
1 oz Fuggles (4.5%AA), 60 minute boil
Scottish Ale yeast (Wyeast #1728)

So do you have an extract or partial mash equivalent for this? (I'm brewing in a tiny kitchen without the benefit of an AG setup)

Much appreciated

While it is a bit too dependent on the specialty grains for an extract-only version, you can do a partial mash version simply by substituting 2.5 pounds of extra light DME for 4 pounds of the Maris Otter. You would still want that last pound of MO for the partial mash, mainly to convert the brown malt, but with a Beer-in-a-Bag technique it should be fairly easy to mash 2lbs., 2oz., of grain. A somewhat bigger concern is fermentation temperature, as Scottish ales usually ferment rather cooler than other ales (around 55-60 deg. F.) But just how you would keep it cool is up to you.

Am looking forward to hearing how it comes out. Thanks to OP one of these is making it onto my to do brew list. Best of luck friend.

Back