Scorching, from what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch with my 2000W/120v set up. It's just a basic set up that I made to get the E-kettle process started. I drilled a one inch hole in the side of my 7.5 gallon aluminum brew pot. I had pretty good results. 95% mash efficiency. Time to boil wasn't too long. I did however experience 2 issues. 1) I need a filter for my drain valve. It was clogged in a matter of seconds with a whole hop flower ( of course this time I had whole hops).

2) this was a pumpkin saison partial mash (4 cans pumpkin, 5 lbs grain, 4 lbs LME, 1.75 lbs sugar.) Half the LME and all the sugar were added late. I notice a smoky smell when brewing but I thought it was the pumpkin hops combo. After I was done brewing I found that the element was covered in burnt carbon.

So, I am trying to figure out what the issue was. I have seen many threads say HWD elements (like I have) cause scorching. But I've seen others say they use them just fine, no scorching. I unplugged the element (no switches here) when I added the extract but not for long.

My theroies are as follows: A) it was the added pumpkin that scorched on the element. B) I needed to let the element cool off longer. C) I do in fact need a LWD element.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

When you added the LME, did you stir everything up well? That is quite thick and heavy and will sink straight to the bottom. The other thing you can do is add it very slowly from the side of the kettle while it's actively boiling and this will help mix it from the natural convection currents of the boil.

Is that a regular water heater element or an Ultra Low Watt Density (ULWD) one, which is what you're supposed to use in a wort kettle. ULWD elements are typically long, folded, and "rippled" to increase surface area.

Adding LME can cause it to stick to the element and scorch. Best is to turn elements off while adding and stir well to dissolve it, which is difficult with that obstacle in the bottom. You could ladle or drain a couple gallons of boiling wort out into another pot, and pre-dissolve the LME/DME, thinning it down a lot, then add it all back and stir with the element off.

The pumpkin pulp surely adds to the problem. Why not mash the puree? You'll need to add rice hulls to be able to lauter it.

Thanks for the replies.

I am leaning towards the element being too hot when I put the LME in. There was a part of the element that didn't have scorching on it. It was covered by the a 1" ID copper pipe fitting that I used for fastening the element to the pot. I guess I will see how things turn out on my next batch, which will be an all grain, BIAB, dry stout with some added table sugar. I'll make sure I turn the element off for a few minutes before I poor the sugar in. Imagining it is red hot like a stove burner while it's plugged in will help. :)

I think the real key is MIXING it well before you turn the element back on. Having the element submerged in the wort will pretty quickly cool the element to very close to the wort temperature. That's why when you shut off the element, the boil stops pretty much instantly. Having a thick substance surrounding the element when it's turned on is a great way to create the scorching you are seeing, especially with HWD elements.

People use HWD elements without issue. Our very own @RM-MN I believe is one of them.

Your problem, as someone pointed out, was most likely getting everything mixed properly before turning the element on. It wasn't the element being too hot when you added the pumpkin and extract.

The same thing happens if you pause boiling mid boil. The proteins from the hot break settle out to the bottom of the kettle, coating the element. As soon as you fire it back up, they scorch. I've done it before. The way to avoid it is to stir really well.

Now, the pumpkin is another issue. I have heard more than one person say they will never boil pumpkin after trying it once, simply because of the scorching problems. Best approach, I think, would be to skip it altogether and instead use the spices that are associated with pumpkin pie. Honestly, no one likes the taste of pumpkin. It's the stuff you put with the pumpkin that makes it good.

I have to agree with Texaswine. No one like pumpkin! But if you feel the need to use it. I would put it in the mash. Or steep it with the specialty grains if doing extract. That's the only way I can see keeping all that pumpkin matter off the element.

Back