Schwartz bier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
Hello!

For those that remember my posts, thank you, for those that do not know, here is the short version:

I'm planning to brew small batches for my restaurant, one house Ale (decided on Amber Ale) , one stout (for cooking), and one rotating seasonal.

He's the latest issue: I'm use to using Guinness to cook with, I want to be different. Other brewers have warned me that I will have to get good at timing because the stout will need to age in order to taste right.

Instead: I am thinking a Schwartz bier. However, I searched Schwartz through this forum and nothing came up.

Any thoughts? Thank you

try Schwarzbier

I often use site:homebrewtalk.com prefix in a google search to find information here.

Most beers change with time, I would think doing an ale would be quicker and easier than doing a lager, especially if you are going to use it for cooking.

Sometimes you will see Schwartz known as Black Lager as well.

A Schwartz is going to take longer to ferment to a usable point than the stout.

You should also consider what your getting out of the beer when cooking and if a Lager vs a Stout will give you that. A Schwartz is usually much more attenuated than a Stout would be, giving you a lighter beer (body not colour) with less residual sugars.

I'm not a Chef, but I would think that the fuller bodied beers with higher residual sugars would be more useful in cooking dishes like stews, gravies and other classic Guinness type dishes.

Before brewing, I'd track down some commercial examples of a Schwartz, and have your chef make the dishes with them and see if they give you the results.

If your not planning on selling the Stout out of the bar, my instincts tell me that it's very likely much more cost effective in both time and materials to purchase a commercially produced Stout.

As for ageing time, if your cooking with, long term ageing is likely not a huge factor. Design a beer that gets your desired flavor profile at 2 weeks and your off to the races.

Sometimes you will see Schwartz known as Black Lager as well.

A Schwartz is going to take longer to ferment to a usable point than the stout.

You should also consider what your getting out of the beer when cooking and if a Lager vs a Stout will give you that. A Schwartz is usually much more attenuated than a Stout would be, giving you a lighter beer (body not colour) with less residual sugars.

I'm not a Chef, but I would think that the fuller bodied beers with higher residual sugars would be more useful in cooking dishes like stews, gravies and other classic Guinness type dishes.

Before brewing, I'd track down some commercial examples of a Schwartz, and have your chef make the dishes with them and see if they give you the results.

If your not planning on selling the Stout out of the bar, my instincts tell me that it's very likely much more cost effective in both time and materials to purchase a commercially produced Stout.

As for ageing time, if your cooking with, long term ageing is likely not a huge factor. Design a beer that gets your desired flavor profile at 2 weeks and your off to the races.

I wouldn't mind being able to sell it and cook with it, two birds within one stone.

Thanks for that, it was a huge help. I didn't think about the residual sugars or body, I was just looking at the darker more roasted grains.

There are two time factors, 1) fermenting 2) aging

I'd rather have a longer fermenting and it's done rather than waiting for the stout to taste less "green" and needs time to sit.

Yes a fuller body would help with cooking. Then again, I don't really consider Guinness to be a truly bodifilled beer compared to other stouts. I'm just looking for an alternative to Guinness, never going to use murphy's. But I know Irish Reds, Porters, and Stouts can take a few months to mature. But that's the flavor family profile I'm trying to achieve. Or if I do have to buy it, I don't know what other stout to use.

You're right, should just experiment

Back