Schooling For Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PakDat

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right area to be asking this but……

Has anyone been to any academy or institution for brewing? Like Central Washington University, University of California, Brewlab, VLB Berlin, Siebel, etc etc etc…..

It would be nice to know how the atmosphere and experiences of the people that have gone and studied there.

I have taken the Concise Course in Brewing Technology at Siebel (October 2013), and will be doing the Master Brewer program this year from Feb 3-July 25. I had a great experience, and would recommend Siebel to anyone looking to get into the industry. Here is what I wrote in someone else's thread:

I recently (October 19-November 1 2013) took the on campus Concise Course in Brewing Technologies (2 weeks in Chicago as opposed to 3 months online...same price as online + expenses). I would recommend this class to anyone considering going pro. I am enrolled in the Master Brewer Program which will begin in February and end late July, and once I come back and get my own thing going, the Concise Course (on campus) will be budgeted into the capital expenses for any hands on partners/brewers I have join the team.

It was intense (9am-5pm M-F) with each day broken into one hour (a few presentations lasted 3 hours) lectures. When the 2 weeks was up, we had touched on literally every aspect of commercial beer brewing, from safety to packaging and everything in between. We also had several sensory panels (Budweisers spiked with off flavors) as well as styles tastings, and that was pretty cool. The concise course and Master Brewer program get a lot of material from the Kunze book (which I am working my way through now in preparation for next year).

The teachers were great. One was the brewmaster for AB for 27 years at various factories, and brought that knowledge to the table. He was much better on the production side of things than he was on the raw materials, but that was no big deal. Another was Matt Bryndison (sp?) brew master at Firestone Walker. What an incredible knowledge base that guy was. Another teacher had gone through the Diploma program a few years ago, and has worked in the industry since, and he brought a real life "been there done that" kinda knowledge base to the table. Keith was hilarious, and Lyn, the president was awesome.

We had a South Korean, a few mexicans (Modelo), 2 canadians, a guy from Israel, a guy from MillerCoors, quality control girl from Kona, people who had never brewed before, people from Smirnoff parents company Diago, homebrewers, and people working in the industry on all size systems.

Siebel's new facility is in the bottom floor of Kendall College, which is a pretty awesome culinary school. For $5/meal you could choose from one of three food areas: the cafeteria (where I ate exclusively) which had several stations and things ranging from beef and barley soup to reubens to lobster (yes, good lobster for $5); the quick serve restaurant (order at one counter, pick up at the other), and a sit down restaurant that you could have wine at, with servers and the whole nine yards (you had to make a reservation...yes, for $5). The Kendall faculty was nice enough (once we learned the no hats in the cafeteria rule), and the students were friendly. Many conversations were started based on our name tags and that we were brewers. As a Siebel student, we also got discounts at some local establishments (20% off at goose island, 10% off at haymarket and some hotdog place).

The most fun part was the bier stube, which was the free (well, you paid a **** load for it) beer on tap and in the fridge just about 15 feet from the classroom door. We would go up and eat lunch, and come back down and have beers, go back to class, sometimes have beers in between classes, and after classes, the teachers would come out and drink with us and we could pretty much ask them about anything. During the school hours we were on a pretty tight schedule, so while discussions and questions were encouraged, we had to keep the class moving, so we could revisit topics and talk specifics after class.

The "books" were 2 inch binders packed to the gills. One for each week. It was kind of intimidating, but once you figured out what worked best for you (some had binders and a spiral, some binders and laptop and spiral, some taking notes in binder, etc) it wasn't too bad. There was one test at the end of the 2 weeks. We definitely had to study, but if you have commercial brewing experience, you have a jump on the game. The last 8 months or so working in a brewery really gave me a good base of knowledge to build upon.

If you are serious about brewing, and want to do it on a commercial scale, for yourself or someone else, I would highly recommend the class.

Hope this helps. feel free to PM me (i don't get on here often though, so email is probably best bet) or email me at motleybrews at gmail dot com if you have any specific questions and i will do my best to answer.

Pics:
the books
sensory
beer styles tasting
the bier stube
i was using the binder and an iPad at one point

So, just a quick question motley, to follow the OP...

If you were just a plain 'ol homebrewer, thinking about going pro down the line, would you be able to pass this class and be certified? Is it THAT hard where you absolutely need commercial experience or is it very learnable as you go?

Thanks for posting that btw, even if it was a copy from another thread, it was a good read.

If you were just a plain 'ol homebrewer, thinking about going pro down the line, would you be able to pass this class and be certified? Is it THAT hard where you absolutely need commercial experience or is it very learnable as you go?

Thanks for posting that btw, even if it was a copy from another thread, it was a good read.

There is a lot of organic chemistry involved in getting a degree in brewing. I know someone who has done it. He's basically a lab tech in the brewery. He brews, but his main job is to deal with the yeasts and testing air quality for possible contaminating spores, dealing with under attenuated beer.. Basically all the chemistry stuff.

It already started, but you may be able to join still: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/free-online-beer-chemistry-course-439877/

MotleyBrews that sounds like a really great experience. Did you get any sense of how different the online class would be? Is there any way they incorporate the sensory panels into the online version? Was there any other type of hands on experiences you got to do during those two weeks or was it mostly lectures?

the concise course is easy enough for homebrewers to pass. we had several people that had not been in the industry and had never brewed beer before. as long as you can study, and take good notes, you'll do fine.

sorry for the late reply. bonus: my review of the concise course (i talk about a lot of what i mentioned in the thread, but go into more detail...its long):

also, i started a new channel strictly dedicated to the master brewer program and beyond. here is the first video. subscribe if you want to keep up to date:

Last edited by a moderator:
MotleyBrews that sounds like a really great experience. Did you get any sense of how different the online class would be? Is there any way they incorporate the sensory panels into the online version? Was there any other type of hands on experiences you got to do during those two weeks or was it mostly lectures?

sorry for the delayed response:
now that i am in the master brewer program, and have talked to some people that did the online classes, i can answer your question better. the main differences i've heard about are the test: ours was multiple choice primarily, whereas the online course was written. the sensory stuff was not incorporated, but if you wanted to spend the money (200 or so) you could get the off flavor kit from siebel, and spike your own budweisers. the biggest difference was time, on campus took 2 weeks, online takes a whole lot longer than that.

There is a lot of organic chemistry involved in getting a degree in brewing. I know someone who has done it. He's basically a lab tech in the brewery. He brews, but his main job is to deal with the yeasts and testing air quality for possible contaminating spores, dealing with under attenuated beer.. Basically all the chemistry stuff.

It already started, but you may be able to join still: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/free-online-beer-chemistry-course-439877/
with siebel, there is a good bit of chemistry, but you don't have to have a science background to do well. Unlike UC davis, which requires a science or math degree i believe, and focuses primarily on those areas, siebel gives you the whole picture. thats just what i've heard talking with people who have done UC Davis, and my personal experience with siebel. I hate science and math, and was a marketing major in college. I've had no problems so far. a background in science definately wouldn't hurt though

Back