Scary proposition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
So my B-I-L has just told me that he has been offered to become a part time brewer in a pub in London. The owner is going to buy everything he needs to brew on a 100 litre system. He ahead asked me if I want to be his brewing partner but I don't think I'm at a level to brew for a pub espically to people who are going to buy the final product. Ahhh don't know weather to go for it.

Well, if your brother in law is good enough, I'm positive it's something you can learn on the job. 100L is pretty small, not even 1bbl of beer at a go. Does he even need an assistant? Can't imagine something like that would pay much, but it sounds like a great opportunity. It will definitely look great on a resume if you want to get into the brewing business in earnest.

daksin said:
Well, if your brother in law is good enough, I'm positive it's something you can learn on the job. 100L is pretty small, not even 1bbl of beer at a go. Does he even need an assistant? Can't imagine something like that would pay much, but it sounds like a great opportunity. It will definitely look great on a resume if you want to get into the brewing business in earnest.

I know it's not big but its still 4 times what I do at home. He is a good brewer but he has only been doing all grain for about a year, and me only 3 months. I think he wants someone to share the responsibility with.

If it's not going to cost you any money go for it. It should be a great learning experience.

ktblunden said:
If it's not going to cost you any money go for it. It should be a great learning experience.

Agree with this. Don't turn it down because you're scared, you'll always wonder what if. If you try it and flop, big deal, everyone fails at something. Now, if you have a high paying job that you'll have to give up, and have a family relying in that income...maybe a different story.

Well,it's like they say,opportunity knocks but once...:rockin:

This. Better to try and fail than to fail to try. It's funny - you tend to be able to live with failure, but missed opportunity has a funny way of eating at you later.

It's knowing that the beer will be sold to paying customers that scares us. The owner has given us until Christmas to brew a beer that is ready for sale, in the mean time we can play around with the equipment and do some test batches.

Where are you located? Here in the states getting licensed to brew beer for sale is a long, expensive process. Is the owner licensed to brew beer for sale at his location on his little homebrew system?

lewishowardm3 said:
It's knowing that the beer will be sold to paying customers that scares us. The owner has given us until Christmas to brew a beer that is ready for sale, in the mean time we can play around with the equipment and do some test batches.

What's the worst that could happen:

1) people buy some crappy beer...and get over it.

2) you get let go for not making good beer...and get over it.

Unless scenario #2 puts your family in jeopardy, I'm not sure if either is really the end if the world.

I live just outside London and my B-I-L lives in London. I wouldn't be quitting my job for this.
He owns a pub so it already has a licence to sell beer.

What regulations do you have over there in regard to brewing beer to sell?
I know in Victoria Australia where I live there are some fairly strict regs that brewers need to comply with.

go for it. even if it fails miserably, you're only the assistant. so it's all your bro in laws fault. if it is a hit, you can claim it was your expert help that put it over the top. I see no reason not to, since you said you won;'t have to quit your real job. and there is at least a small possibility that it could look good on your resume, either for other brewing positions, or even in non brewing jobs.

I'm not too sure, but I am sure all will be legal as the owner won't want to loose his licence.
I'll have to find out.

Hogarthe said:
go for it. even if it fails miserably, you're only the assistant. so it's all your bro in laws fault. if it is a hit, you can claim it was your expert help that put it over the top. I see no reason not to, since you said you won;'t have to quit your real job. and there is at least a small possibility that it could look good on your resume, either for other brewing positions, or even in non brewing jobs.

I like your thinking :)

Back