Scaled recipe vs. Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomofett

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a little confused. I'm going to make a one gallon batch soon and I have some recipes that I used BeerSmith to scale down. But they say to use 13-18 grams of sugar. But when I use the calculators they say to use around 24 grams of sugar. Which should I trust? I want to think the BeerSmith but there are some glitches in scaling down (at one point it says to add 9 liters of wart but the total size is once 3.8 liters, and on a different recipe it says to add -8 liters)

I tried searching on the forums but I couldn't find an answer to this.

Thanks for your help!

It probably has to do with your settings. You still have to tell it how much boil off, losses to trub, etc. Maybe you still have it set for a large kettle and it expects you to boil off a gallon and a half, and have a half gallon in trub or something.

Yeah, I still need to set it all up, I just got it and was just using it to scale everything down. (I'm still a newbie at all this)
Should I just stick to the calculators for now?

So I updated all the equipment but the sugar levels stayed the same. Should I stick with the recipe or go with the calculators?
Any advice?

So I updated all the equipment but the sugar levels stayed the same. Should I stick with the recipe or go with the calculators?
Any advice?

I can't see what you can in your calculator, and so I can't see if it's correctly set up or not.

Perhaps, if you post your recipe and batch size we could help?

So I started to write it all out and compared it to what the calculator gave me and realized there's only about 2 grams difference. At first I thought it was a bigger difference because in one there was a 5 gram difference.
But then I just looked up how much a gram is in teaspoons, and 2 grams in a gallon (I'm doing one gallon batches) is not that much is it?
I think in my mind 2 grams just seems bigger because of the only other time I've used metric to measure something.
I'm just very nervous about bottles exploding or messing it all up I the last step.

Thanks for your help!

Wait, are we talking about priming sugar here? In that case it's pretty simple, just base it on the measured final volume that you have. I've never actually used Beersmith's but there is a calculator here. Looks like you want about 24 grams of corn sugar or 22 grams of table sugar. A couple grams either way is not going to give you bombs, it's like the difference between 2.5 and 2.6 vols of CO2.

You could always use the pre-measured fizz drops which calculates by the vessel the beer is going into. They are especially convenient when bottling

I live in Japan and unfortunately brewing hasn't caught on so I gotta order everything through the mail from only 2 places that each have limited supply, otherwise I would experiment with those.
The closest shops to get stuff are a couple hundred bucks to get to.

Back