Saving yeast and finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtoe

Reaction score
Hey there, I want to save the yeast from my primary in mason jars. But I plan to use finings--either gelatin or polyclar. I really don't want, nor have time to, secondary, so I would definitely be saving yeast that'll have fining materials in it. Is it ok to re-use yeast that contains a portion of not only finings, but the crud from my last batch that's stuck to the finings?

If u want to be sure( I would not do it) their is a real easy way to "wash" the yeast. Just add (depending on batch size) 4 jars with cooled down boiled water for 20 liter to the yeast thats left in the fermenter. Then fill those jars with the blur. Let it stand for like 20 min, and u will see the yeast dropped. Now pour it again into another jar ( sanitized ofc) with out the yeast that sits on the bottem. And tada u have ur washed harvested yeast in the second jar. You can do other things while waiting so it wont take more then 30 min with boil time cooling etc. And u dont have to sit and wait for it to cool or for the yeas to drop so no time wasted !
Hope i helped u out. Greetings

If u want to be sure( I would not do it) their is a real easy way to "wash" the yeast. Just add (depending on batch size) 4 jars with cooled down boiled water for 20 liter to the yeast thats left in the fermenter. Then fill those jars with the blur. Let it stand for like 20 min, and u will see the yeast dropped. Now pour it again into another jar ( sanitized ofc) with out the yeast that sits on the bottem. And tada u have ur washed harvested yeast in the second jar. You can do other things while waiting so it wont take more then 30 min with boil time cooling etc. And u dont have to sit and wait for it to cool or for the yeas to drop so no time wasted !

"I would not do it":

As in "I would not try and save yeast containing finings"?

Or as in;

"I would not bother washing as it is probably unnecessary"?

I suspect it is the latter but could you clarify your opinion?

"I would not do it":

As in "I would not try and save yeast containing finings"?

Or as in;

"I would not bother washing as it is probably unnecessary"?

I suspect it is the latter but could you clarify your opinion?

Wel its not a really safe method, you could pour gelatin mess with the yeast you plan to re pitch. If u use the method likr i described you should be fine. It really isnt that difficult or time eating. You could watch on youtube for the full explenation

Latest posts

Back