Saving a grassy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Ive just kegged an American Pale ale that had 2oz each of cascade and galaxy hops at whirlpool (no dry hops yet).
Pulled a pint and it has a distinct grassyness about it. Almost undrinkable. Was thinking about dry hopping in the keg
with a different hop to save it somewhat. Any suggestions on what hops would work best?
I have Simcoe, Citra, Denali, lots more Galaxy, mosaic, Columbus...
Thanks

Might come from the galaxy. I don't know if this ages out, but maybe it is also related to particles that are still in suspension. You might be able to cover it with citra a bit but if it doesn't do the job and/or the flavour does not age out, you wasted the citra.

Yeah I was thinking the Galaxy too. I dont mind trying a couple of ounces to try and save it. The beer was cold crashed and I used a floculent yeast so not sure it'll change much

Lots of folks have issues with Galaxy that do seem to attenuate the longer the beer is held cold (and the polyphenols drop out)...

Cheers!

Ive just kegged an American Pale ale that had 2oz each of cascade and galaxy hops at whirlpool (no dry hops yet).
Pulled a pint and it has a distinct grassyness about it. Almost undrinkable. Was thinking about dry hopping in the keg
with a different hop to save it somewhat. Any suggestions on what hops would work best?
I have Simcoe, Citra, Denali, lots more Galaxy, mosaic, Columbus...
Thanks

How long did you leave the beer before kegging? You might be plagued with suspended hop particles yet.

How long did you leave the beer before kegging? You might be plagued with suspended hop particles yet.

2 weeks in fermenter. I've added gelatin to keg so I'll give it a week or so carb up then try it. Hopefully the gelatin will clear the veg taste.

Latest posts

Back