Sanke Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cilestiok

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone prefer them over cornys?

I'd like to use my corny kegs for fermenting and switch to kegging in sixth barrels so that I don't have to use corny fittings in my meister anymore. I often buy sixth barrels of some commercial brews that I enjoy, as well as light beers for guests during family parties, so I like the idea of interchangeability.

I carbonate with a stone and money is not an issue.

Please inform me of the ups and downs of using standard sixth barrels over soda kegs.

I do, but only because of the 15.5G size is great for parties.. The main drawback is that weird retaining ring. I was surprised how easy I was able to remove and reinstall it the first time, but then it took me over an hour to reinstall the ring the second time around (fortunately it was a practice round before I had any beer in there to oxidize). At some point I rotated the spear 180 degrees and then I was able to get the ring back in place and pressurized. The other drawback would be that you can't reach inside to scrub it out like you can with a corny, but I found a nice hot oxy/tsp shake and soak was able to clean better than a hand scrubbing anyways. I have a ball lock adapter on the gas line of my sankey tap and use a nickel with teflon tape to shut down the liquid out when force carbing. I use the standard liquid out barb when it is serving time.
I've been toying with the idea of fermenting in my sankey or at least using it as a secondary for brightening my beer. Transfer 5G corny for serving and replace with krausening beer from a fermentor to carbonate with a spunding valve. But, right now I need to figure out a new fermentation chamber since my kegerator bit it.

I do, but only because of the 15.5G size is great for parties.. The main drawback is that weird retaining ring. I was surprised how easy I was able to remove and reinstall it the first time, but then it took me over an hour to reinstall the ring the second time around (fortunately it was a practice round before I had any beer in there to oxidize). At some point I rotated the spear 180 degrees and then I was able to get the ring back in place and pressurized. The other drawback would be that you can't reach inside to scrub it out like you can with a corny, but I found a nice hot oxy/tsp shake and soak was able to clean better than a hand scrubbing anyways. I have a ball lock adapter on the gas line of my sankey tap and use a nickel with teflon tape to shut down the liquid out when force carbing. I use the standard liquid out barb when it is serving time.

I've been toying with the idea of fermenting in my sankey or at least using it as a secondary for brightening my beer. Transfer 5G corny for serving and replace with krausening beer from a fermentor to carbonate with a spunding valve. But, right now I need to figure out a new fermentation chamber since my kegerator bit it.

So other than the spear retainer, no other issues? Force carbing through the spear isn't an issue for me because I would use my carbonation stone attached to a triclover.

I haven't tried to get the hop sacks back out yet.. Hopefully it'll be easier than getting them out of a carboy (I just dump pellets in the carboy now)

I use sanke kegs.The ring is easy to get on and off.All you need is a flathead screwdriver and pliers.I like the fact that I can buy commercial kegs without worrying about the coupler.No gaskets or O rings to worry about leaking either

I use sanke kegs.The ring is easy to get on and off.All you need is a flathead screwdriver and pliers.I like the fact that I can buy commercial kegs without worrying about the coupler.No gaskets or O rings to worry about leaking either

I also used a screwdriver and pliers to take off the retainer. It took me about 3-5 minutes each time. Is that the best way? Is that how long it takes you? I'm probably doing it wrong. Haha.

Does anyone prefer them over cornys?

I'd like to use my corny kegs for fermenting and switch to kegging in sixth barrels so that I don't have to use corny fittings in my meister anymore. I often buy sixth barrels of some commercial brews that I enjoy, as well as light beers for guests during family parties, so I like the idea of interchangeability.

I carbonate with a stone and money is not an issue.

Please inform me of the ups and downs of using standard sixth barrels over soda kegs.
I do. I used cornys for a long time, but now I have all sixtels, and I like the simplicity. The dry-hopping is a little challenging to get the bag in and out (and be SURE to use a bag!), but they are super-easy to keep clean, and you can tap a commercial keg if you want to. Carbing through the spear works fine.

It took me a little while to get the hang of removing and installing the ring, but now I can do it in 30 seconds.

One possible downside is getting replacement gaskets for the spear--I haven't found anyone that sells them.

I have a production brewery in town I'm sure I could ask for replacement gaskets if i needed them. Glad to know the ring gets easier to remove with time. I think I just need thinner needlenose to grab them easier. That's my main issue is getting the initial grip on it.

I also used a screwdriver and pliers to take off the retainer. It took me about 3-5 minutes each time. Is that the best way? Is that how long it takes you? I'm probably doing it wrong. Haha.
Popping the ring off takes about a second.Stick the screwdriver in the slot and pry it out.Cant get much simpler.Putting it back on is a little more work.I flex open the ring and pop in as much as I can by hand,going around in a circle. then finish off by prying the ring on with pliers.Only takes a minute.

Back