Sanke Keg Cleaning Idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nastee_brew

Reaction score
I have 2 smaller (7.5 gallon) sanke kegs at home that I would like to use for homebrew. I also have a homebrew system with a pump. SOOO.... I was wondering if anyone has ever utilized hot water from say an HLT, pumped through stand pump and into the Sanke to clean with hot oxyclean. Can the pump utilize enough pressure to push the liquid in and out? Seems like this would be an intelligent way to clean a sanke and post at the same time. Just run till clear, and then some more, then run some star san through it, and keg your beer. Thoughts, or maybe even experience would be appreciated.

I think most of the keg washers that leave the spear in invert the keg and use a high pressure pump to blast the water up the dip tube so it hits the bottom of the keg (now on the top since it's inverted) so the water comes down the side of the keg to clean it. At the end of the cleaning cycle they lower the flow of the pump so the water trickles down the outside of the spear to clean it.

I ferment and sometimes serve with sanke kegs. I remove the spear and clean with my homemade keg cleaner. I've gotten proficient at installing and removing the snap ring so I don't find it a hassle at all to remove the spear each time.

View attachment 1433353145165.jpg

View attachment 1433353193223.jpg

Back