Sanke coupler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello home brewers. I just purchased my first kegerator and it came with two sanke keg couplers. I heard that corny kegs are the way to go. Am I going to have to buy all new couplers or is there an easy/cheap way to convert them? Or should I look for sanke kegs? I heard they are a pain to clean and fill.

Thanks!

Disconnect and save the sanke connecters. You may be able to use them or trade / sell them.

New corny keg couplers (Quick Disconnects, or QDs) are around $10 for a pair, Liquid and Gas. You just have to decide if you want MLF thread, or barb push on. Also, it depends if you will be using ball lock or pin lock kegs.

:mug:

Lot's of people prefer sanke's. Kegs are typically more expensive, but with the rising costs of corny kegs they're no longer that much different. The first time you remove a spear and clean a sanke is a bit of a learning curve, but it's quite easy once you've done it a couple times. Either is a good system.

I personally think Corny Keg is the way to go. Cheap Parts, nice big lid to open up and see inside to make sure everything is clean and sparkling, you can dry hop in them easy, and they have the pressure release valve which is nice for purging (i dont think Sanke kegs do but if they do someone please correct me) I know there is more advantages but these ate the top ones that made me swing that way.

Sankey kegs don't have a pressure release on the keg itself, it's usually incorporated in the coupler.

I've used both. I don't have a keg cleaner or the desire to make one and found some cornies for cheap a few years back so I made the switch. The corny system is more flexible IMHO but to each their own.

I use sixlel's.And have used corneys,still have them.I like the fact that the sixtel uses the same connections as a regular keg if I choose.I was skeptical about opening a sixtel,till I did it.A screwdriver and pliers are all I need..and one minute

Plus....
A sixtel is no different in cleaning and you can buy a micromatic 2 gallon setup that will clean your lines and tap.I like my sixtel and Ive had bolth.

Sanke's have a pressure relief valve in the coupler.

They both have pros and cons. I really like being able to dry hop in corny kegs, and they're cheaper (probably not for long though). They're also slightly smaller, which is nice for keezers like mine with limited space. They can also be scrubbed by hand, which some people like.

Sanke's are less likely to leak, because they only have one connection point, and only a couple seals. There are a lot fewer overall parts as well, which means less to go wrong. They also have check valves for both the gas and beer lines built into the couplers. They're much easier to clean with an automated or semi-automated system. The different sizes of sanke kegs are relatively evenly priced, whereas corny's are generally pricey for sizes other than 5 gal.

I'm starting kegging and am going with Sanke. Got some couplers and fittings given to me and poured beer for a fundraiser, was amazed at how smoothly switching kegs was and was sold. Just get a cheap coupler and remove the check valves, you can shoot cleaner/water/sanitizer up the spear with the keg inverted, just need a pond or dirty water pump.

I'm starting kegging and am going with Sanke. Got some couplers and fittings given to me and poured beer for a fundraiser, was amazed at how smoothly switching kegs was and was sold. Just get a cheap coupler and remove the check valves, you can shoot cleaner/water/sanitizer up the spear with the keg inverted, just need a pond or dirty water pump.
or use one of these for effortless line cleaninghttp://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=CJByRt-naVNCXFq2qsAeqtoC4B7q6sIlCuoWHoecB8vyz850DCAQQAigFYMnOkIvApNgPoAGGkL__A8gBB6oEJk_QZ-gvOpzkZC0gx7kMg1fHI1k-Ck_dJKSKjn7j3LXoiOObsSoHwAUFiAYBoAYmgAfi70CQBwOoB6a-G9gHAeASjuezsLHg2s6qAQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=5Gicl9uP0ZlEihCq7ZwKIwZm7szVEitz7-x4vnozlHPx_fs&sig=AOD64_0pgqffRsodbuYXUCWtUmxqJEqVxw&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0CCYQww8&adurl=http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/cleaning/pressurized/bottles_diptubes/M801222KS.shtml%3FCAWELAID%3D1372130289%26CAGPSPN%3Dpla%26catargetid%3D320012430000210412%26cadevice%3Dc

Whooo,that came out wrong LOL micromatic line cleaner

Disconnect and save the sanke connecters. You may be able to use them or trade / sell them.

New corny keg couplers (Quick Disconnects, or QDs) are around $10 for a pair, Liquid and Gas. You just have to decide if you want MLF thread, or barb push on. Also, it depends if you will be using ball lock or pin lock kegs.

:mug:

Where are you getting them for $10 a pair? Please do tell, I'm finding $12-14 each

Why not both??
Depending on how much you brew / how much free time you have, having both a Sanke tap and a ball/pin lock tap set would give you a lot of flexibility to sub in a local craft brewery's keg along with one of yours when the production pipeline slows.
Personally, I think the corney style is great for kegging your homebrew and cleaning up afterward.

Back