Sanitizer in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7Vanepps

Reaction score
Fellas, I've been home brewing for many years but only my second attempt at a lager.

Long story short...warm wort set in garage to cool, without yeast (in a starter culture) and blow off tube set in sanitizer for an airlock until adding yeast next day. Went to pull out blow off tube, which had apparently sucked up about a pint of sanitizer and it dumped right into my wort of just under 6 gallons....is it shot? I use one step...thanks

I think you're OK. Not much sanitizer, and you likely just marginally changed the ph. A pint in 6 gallons s/b OK. Best way to find out is add the yeast and check back tomorrow.

Always keep your blow off container below your fermenter. That way if you get suck back it won't create a siphon affect and drain your blow off vessel into your fermenter. Might get some...maybe.. But it won't be the whole container if any.

Yeah, learning the hard way I guess...it's been just over 24 hours and I'm not getting any activity but the starter was going nuts. I swished the stuff around in my mouth (label said it was non toxic) and it didn't really have a flavor, just worried it killed the yeast

Just checked this morning and we have fermentation! Also, looked at the sanitizer again and it's actually straight A, similar package to my one step, but says to call a physician if ingested. At this diluted rate, I'm gonna pretend it never happened and plan to drink this puppy in 6 months

Back