sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punity

Reaction score
So im starting to save bottles and i was wondering when i go to clean and sanitize the bottles would using the dishwasher be a possibility?

I always liked to fill the sink with a solution of OxyClean. I let them soak for a couple of hours, longer if I had to get labels off. Rinse the very well with fresh water. On bottling day, I filled a bucket up with StartSan and gave them all a dunk and a quick soak. If you allow them to sit with the StarSan on them while you are prepping and bottling, you will have nice, clean, sanitized bottles.

Bottles ready to be filled must be both "clean" and "sanitized." The dishwasher won't do a very good job of "cleaning" the bottles. Use a good bottle brush and some OxyClean. Dishwashers, however, do a marvelous job of sanitizing the bottles. Run a FULL cycle WITHOUT detergent, and include the drying cycle. The heat from the drying cycle will sanitize the bottles. Then, let them cool for a bit, and proceed to bottle the good stuff!

glenn514:mug:

In my experience, if you pour then rinse the bottle immediately, then the dishwasher does a good job. If you are picking up a dozen empties after having some friends over, you better plan on getting out the bottle brush and oxyclean.

ok awesome thanks yea i was thinking that the heat should do for a good sanitizing session. But cleaning i know ill have to get down and dirty haha

ok awesome thanks yea i was thinking that the heat should do for a good sanitizing session. But cleaning i know ill have to get down and dirty haha

As long as you rinse out your bottles as soon as you pour the beer into a glass, I don't think brushes and all that are necessary. Just fill the bottle up with an inch or two of water and slosh it around for a few seconds before pouring it out. I usually do it two or three times and have no sediment on the bottom of the bottle. On bottling day run the bottles through the dishwasher with heat and water only, then spray the inside of your bottles with star san before you bottle, if you're still paranoid.

^^^ Yuppers! Once you have your bottles CLEANED, keeping them clean and sanitized is quite easy. I am always amazed at the "stuff" I find in the bottles before I soak/scrub them out the first time! It's like a whole science experiment at the bottom of a beer bottle!

glenn514:mug:

^ i know i moved a few years back and the movers packed everything including some used beer bottles. Holy s i swear i grew a new plauge

Back