Sanitation Away From Home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok.. I'm going to be part of a local competition. I'm in charge of sanitation and will be using Star-San for soaking what I can along with a spray bottle.

Here's the question. I'm looking for ideas on what to use for soaking longer things like racking canes, etc. Tubing, stoppers and small stuff can be coiled or dumped in a bucket of SS. The carboy, if we use one, I can simply partially fill, shake well and cover the opening with saran wrap or aluminum foil.

So, I guess the question is.. the longer items. I thought of making a trough out of 1x4 and getting a cheap, disposable plastic table cloth at the Dollar Store.. but, this may be over kill if you have a better idea. I've also thought of possibly finding a free/inexpensive baby bathtub that all the stuff can be put in.. but, don't know how long these tubs are.

Thank for any suggestions.

Head to HD or Lowes and go to the painting section. They should have some long plastic trays that fit tubes and what not in.

Head to HD or Lowes and go to the painting section. They should have some long plastic trays that fit tubes and what not in.

Thanks.. I'll check that out. I went there for what seemed an ideal suggestion. A while back I saw someone asking a similar question and the reply was to get a wall paper soaking tray for the longer wall paper. HD no longer stocks that.

The old standby is the wallpaper tray

104851_front200.jpg

But if you're doing a bunch of stuff, and you want something bigger, and you could probably get one cheaper at a dollar store than at a big box store like even walmart is an under bed storage bin

cb70iris.jpg

They come in all different sizes.

If you really want to be the big sanitization cheese...or the sheriff of sanitization, get a couple of these garden compression sprayers ;)

Air-Compression-Sprayer-Garden-Sprayer-DX12A-1500ml-.jpg

Or get a cheap one of these,

chinasprayer$62916587.jpg

And strap it on your back....

Heck I would wear a cowboy hat, and two of the hand held one and call myself the sheriff of sanitzation, or dress as a ghost buster and wear the bigger one on my back.

Ghostbusters_Costume.jpg

:rockin::D:mug:Revvy, you da man.. Thanks.. I think that was what I had in mind. I will yellow page wallpaper.. and see what I can come up with today. Something good to do on a day with constant downpour.

Hmmm, walked outside.. looked up at my rain gutters and (light bulb) Go to Lowes and get a length of plastic rain gutter material and two end caps.. cut it to 4' length and I should be home free. It's relatively sturdy.. more so than the wallpaper tray. but not very stable. That should be easy to fix with a couple of small 'sandbags'.

Hmmm, walked outside.. looked up at my rain gutters and (light bulb) Go to Lowes and get a length of plastic rain gutter material and two end caps.. cut it to 4' length and I should be home free. It's relatively sturdy.. more so than the wallpaper tray. but not very stable. That should be easy to fix with a couple of small 'sandbags'.

I bet you could make some stable "legs" using the clip-on mounts for the same gutter material...

Cheers!

Damn, that's a great idea.

In fact someone posted before christmas that it's getting harder to find wallpaper trays, at least in most hardware stores. Evidently evidently most wallpaper these days doesn't need to be soaked in those trays anymore, so stores aren't carrying them. Plus they are flimsy, especually with liquid in them. You might have come up with the perfect option.

I was thinking of using a piece of plastic gutter w/ two end caps... Can be cut to length and a 10' section is like $6 - $7...

Go to the Garden section... I have and use a window planter, it's about 5 inches wide, 30 inches long and 6 inches deep. It works perfect for all of my long items and has plenty of room for the smaller stuff too.

Go to the Garden section... I have and use a window planter, it's about 5 inches wide, 30 inches long and 6 inches deep. It works perfect for all of my long items and has plenty of room for the smaller stuff too.

I found exactly this at Lowe's today.. I think it'll work fine.

Back to Revvy's post... I bought one of those hand compression sprayers. But, I'm having second thoughts about it. After listening to the guy that developed Star San on one of the BN podcasts.. I think he said it is ok to use this in stainless but not soft metals.. well, the fittings are brass.. I think that would = soft. Dang.. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll likely have to return that item. Seemed like a great idea vs the plastic utility spray bottles.

I caught that podcast too,and I am sure he said it was okay for copper which has to be softer than brass is it not?

I've used a 1 gallon garden sprayer, all plastic from walmart for like 8 bucks. Awesome. Mix up a gallon, use until it is gone. Switched to star san 70 batches ago, still on 1st 8 oz bottle. Spray into racking tube to sanitize, hold finger over the end and you are ready to siphon. Spray everything else down with a fine mist....

Heck I would wear a cowboy hat, and two of the hand held one and call myself the sheriff of sanitzation, or dress as a ghost buster and wear the bigger one on my back.

May as well hop up to one of these:

Solo backpack sprayer
http://amzn.to/y0W63q

I had to walk my family's wrecking yard when I was a kid with one of those full of herbicide, killing off weeds. I think it'd be quite effective at mass sanitation, though!

Latest posts

Back