Sand looking trub when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovandp

Reaction score
Hi,

I bottled today after 2 weeks of fermentation. My SG reading was stable for 5 days at 1010.

When I was syphoning out the beer into my bottling bucket, and got to the bottom, the trub layer didn't look like cake, it looked like the texture of sand (see attached picture).

I did use gelatin finings 2 days ago. I bottled the batch anyway but I am thinking something may have gone really wrong during fermentation? I'm worried about this and I also just want to make sure that the batch will be okay after conditioning (and hopefully no bottle explosions either).

Any advice will be appreciated to put my mind at ease. I was fermenting a Lion Lager Kit with Brew Enhancer in a stainless steel fermenter.

Thanks a mill,
Donovan

2014-02-20 21.48.40.jpg

I see a nice fermentation ring so I think you are good. Maybe the yeast was fixing to put up a volleyball net and you messed up their beach before they could have their first game?
Seriously, I think you are all set. Some yeasts just settle differently than others and the gelatin may have helped play a role. How cloudy was the beer when you racked it?

Seriously, I think you are all set. Some yeasts just settle differently than others and the gelatin may have helped play a role. How cloudy was the beer when you racked it?

Well the beer was still quite cloudy, as in when I had it in the trial jar, it was murky and I couldn't se through it. I'm not sure how "clear" should look because this is my first ever homebew. Should it be clear as in when you look at a commercial beer? Sorry for my newbie questions :(

Sounds like you didn't give it time to reach FG & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. You'll have some trub & yeast at the bottom of your bottles.

Ouch 😔 The SG reading was stuck at 1010 for 5 days so I don't know if it just got stuck? What a bummer, Clearly I have a lot to learn! Will it clear up at all in the bottles?

Will my bottles be safe from exploding on me? I put 1 carbonation drop in each 440ml bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not sure how old this thread is. You said that your SG reading was at 1010 for 5 days. Did you mean your FG (final gravity) reading? SG (specific Gravity) reading is your reading either before you add yeast (which is also called OG-origina gravity) or during the fermentation process. I only take the OG and FG readings because I make sure it has plenty of time to finish fermenting. If 1010 is your FG reading for 5 days, you should be fine. I rack to a glass carboy after done fermenting in bucket. This helps to settle out the beer and clear things out then transfer to bottleing bucket. It sounds like a lot of work but not really. Also look into using whirlflock tablets or irish moss or other fining agents. They work really well.

It could be,from my pers[ective,that it reached FG,but it wasn't allowed time to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. This last part is part of the conditioning process that gives cleaner tasting beer. Not to mention,only a dusting of trub/yeast at the bottom of the bottles.

Not sure how old this thread is. You said that your SG reading was at 1010 for 5 days. Did you mean your FG (final gravity) reading? SG (specific Gravity) reading is your reading either before you add yeast (which is also called OG-origina gravity) or during the fermentation process. I only take the OG and FG readings because I make sure it has plenty of time to finish fermenting. If 1010 is your FG reading for 5 days, you should be fine. I rack to a glass carboy after done fermenting in bucket. This helps to settle out the beer and clear things out then transfer to bottleing bucket. It sounds like a lot of work but not really. Also look into using whirlflock tablets or irish moss or other fining agents. They work really well.

Yeah, it was my FG reading. I did rack the beer into a bottling bucket first. Thanks for the advice, suppose it's just a waiting game now.

It could be,from my pers[ective,that it reached FG,but it wasn't allowed time to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. This last part is part of the conditioning process that gives cleaner tasting beer. Not to mention,only a dusting of trub/yeast at the bottom of the bottles.

Okay great, thanks so much. I'll just be patient with the conditioning until my beer clears up. Being my first batch, I just want to be able to drink the final product :) I will just have to pour out the bottle into a glass and try miss the sediment on the bottom of each bottle.

cold crashing with gelatin makes a big dif in clarity, but in taste i dont notice anything (did 2 batches brewed the same 1 clear 1 cloudy) Ive made loads of cloudy really good beers, i think we are stuck in a mind set of clear beer is good beer...

Because we also eat with our eyes. Visual appeal is a good part of brewing. It has to look good too,even though we may not consciously think of it that way. It doesn't take too much effort to get clear beer. Whatever works for you...

Back