San Francisco Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesoup12

Reaction score
So I have a feeling I might get some backlash from this question, but here goes anyway... I have a recipe for a lager but I do not have the ability to actually lager the beer, ie can't refrigerate it. I have a San Francisco Lager from White Labs that works up to 65 degrees. What might happen if I ferment at say 70-72 (room temperature)? Would there be any adjustments I would need to make? Would my beer and apartment blow up because I'm breaking all layering rules? :)

It's probably just not going to taste very good.

I would consider using a neutral ale yeast instead, and perhaps a swamp cooler or something to try to mitigate the ambient temps a bit.

Would you recommend something more like a Kolsch? Would that still give me some of the lager characteristics?

I think 70-72 is to warm for SF lager yeast I like to keep it in low 60 high 50's. Is 72 your ambient temperature? You got to remember that you're fermentation is going to create heat also. So you can reach temps of 75 or more. You can't use a swap cooler method to keep temps down?

Would you recommend something more like a Kolsch? Would that still give me some of the lager characteristics?

It would be better than a lager yeast at that temp. Maybe try Safale S-05?

But it's going to be really difficult to get anything resembling a "lager" characteristic fermenting at 72°F ambient without some sort of cooling. As bratrules pointed out, fermentation creates heat, so your beer temp is going to actually be warmer than ambient temp by several degrees.

If you can't use a fridge, a swamp cooler or ice bath is your friend. Cheap and effective.

Hey Whitesoup,

I received some really good general advice on brewing from an assistant brewer that works part-time at a LHBS, couple years back... Some of it might help you too so I'll try to remember it and post below.

His Advice:

1) Brew With the Seasons! So for me where I live in Oregon, that means brew Lagers in the Winter. Regular ales normally fall, spring or early summer. California Common - short window during late fall and early spring. And apparently some Belgian yeasts like the warmer temps we would get in summer...styles like Saison. I've never brewed a Belgian style beer yet myself.

2) Controlling Fermentation Temperatures - Maintain Consistent Temp - is one of the most important things to do when trying to improve your quality of beer. (Much more important than doing all grain vs. extract...at the time I was still doing extract and fishing for the next step...).

3) A cheap trick to keep temps consistent - get a garbage can larger than your carboy or fermentation vessel. Put carboy with wort in and fill outside of carboy (in garbage can - think 33 gallon) with water. Cheap ways for those of us without refrigerator dedicated to fermentation, with special temperature controls, etc. (I ferment in an insulated garage area...helps to control temp swings).

4) To brew ale in winter, (when to cold) use fish tank heater to warm the water. Keeps it constantly at that warmer temperature...like for example 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Think I paid $30 for this fish tank heater.

You really want to try to keep the temperatures inside the ranges listed from the yeast companies' guides if possible... If you can't brew at proper temps, choose a different yeast so you are successful, and brew a style that fits the yeast. I use thermometer included in my hydrometer to measure water temp in garbage can placed next to fermentation vessel... Should be really close to that inside fermentation vessel. When not on road check temps morning and eve and record these.

You could test the temperature by putting water in the spare garbage can like this and measuring the temperature a couple of times per day over a week or so, and see what it is. Then hopefully find a beer style that can be fermented in that temperature range. You really want to follow the yeast company's "optimum temperature range", if possible.

Good Luck!

I would recommend a swamp cooler if planning to use SF yeast. Freeze some water bottles and use those to help keep the water temp down.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up going with a US-05. We'll see how it turns out!

Back