San Francisco Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'd like to turn my cream ale into a lager, but I don't have ideal lagering equipment. I only have a fridge that stays between 30 and 40 degrees. I also don't want to wait months for it to lager (I know, I'm impatient).

I was thinking about using the White Labs San Francisco lager yeast to get "lager-like" characteristics in the beer. But I don't know how long it will take in total. I was thinking about two weeks in fermentation at about 60 degrees (in my basement), but I wasn't sure if I should cold-condition it in the fridge (between 30 and 40 degrees). Should I cold condition to make it a more "lager-like" beer, and how long should I leave it in the fridge at this temperature?

That didn't answer my question, but thanks for responding I guess.

Can someone suggest a timeline for fermenting/cold conditioning with this yeast strain?

I just used this yeast in a Cali common and a raspberry jalapeño hybrid. So far I like the characteristics of this yeast and the crisp finish it produces. I fermented at an avg of 68 degrees for two weeks and now have it at 60 for another two. I also read on the white labs site that the optimal temp for this yeast is 65 ( I think) . So your plan seems to be in accordance. I'm not planning on cold crashing, in just treating this yeast as an ale that gives lager characteristics. Hope this helps.

Back