San Fran/Sonoma Musts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtbiscuit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wife just surprised me with a trip to San Francisco/Sonoma for my birthday coming up in early March. :ban: Planning to hit 21st Amendment, Anchor, Bear Republic, Russian River, and Lagunitas.

Are there any other must sees/visits in the area (beer related or not)? Definitely looking for dining recommendations as well!

Any advice is appreciated!

North Coast is a bit of of a drive but it's still in the area. Anderson Valley likewise. Heretic out toward Oakland and it's neighbor E.J. Phair would make for a nice trip to the east bay, and you could swing through Triple Rock down in Berkeley in the same trip. Marin Brewing Company would be right on the way north to Santa Rosa from San Francisco.

As far as grub, up in Santa Rosa there's plenty of stuff right around Russian River. I'd recommend the Thai House down the street (right above Tex Wasabi's, Guy Fieri's place), or Flavors, right on Courthouse Square.

I liked Thirsty Bear more than 21st amendment. I don't get teh "love" for that place. Their beer is ok, but not enough to go bonkers over. Do NOT bother with the Beach Chalet. It's on the other end of town, not near anything, and the beer sucks.

We liked Bear Republic much better than RR, in terms of atmosphere. RR was (as of 4-5 years ago) a hipster/dufus place. And the waiter was really snobby/prickish. "These are our sour beers, you probably won't like them". Bear Republic was much more friendly, and didn't have a bad beer on tap.

On your way out to Sonoma from SF, stop by Artesa Winery. Awesome tasting room, and their wine is really good as well.

Back