Road trip advice request for those out west

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger988

Reaction score
For starters, I have ever been west of the Mississippi except for basic training in Oklahoma. A friend recently bought an old Ford truck in Portland and its actually cheaper for him to fly me out there and drive it back across the country than it is for him to ship it. So, I get a cross country road trip starting Jan 17th.

Starting in Portland, my favorite brewery in the country is hands down Hair of the Dog, so I'll be going there, Cascade, and Deschutes. I've more or less settled on my route from there, I'm going to take the 5 down through Cali (would love to do PCH but considering the truck and the time of year, I think that's best saved for another trip.) I'm going to make a detour on 29/101 to shoot over to Santa Rosa and hit Bear Republic/Russian River/Lagunitas. From there I'll keep south, re join the 5 after a quick stop at Toronado in San Fran and try to go to the Rare Barrel if they're open when I pass through. Then I'll take the 15 east and drive through Vegas/over the Hoover Dam. Whether or not I stop in Vegas will be a game time decision depending on how much money I've blown at breweries to this point, ha. I'll take the 40 east from there to ABQ, have a friend there who's gonna let me crash a night after seeing La Cumbre and Marble brewing.

Any beer related stops up until that point that I absolutely HAVE to hit that aren't too far out of the way? Trying to take my time and see the sites, but also get back in a decent amount of time, I know I could take a month plus to drive the route I just spelled out but that's not an option.

The drive from ABQ to Virginia will be a pretty direct shot on I40, gonna stop and get a big ass steak in Amarillo, see some friends in Nashville, but I'll more or less just truck it from there. Unless someone has somewhere for me to stop that I just CAN'T miss.

If you got the time and the weather is not crappy like it has been, drive up the I-84 and see the Gorge and drive up to Crown Point and the waterfalls. Worth the extra time! And you can go out to Hood River for some Full Sail beer!

The drive from ABQ to Virginia will be a pretty direct shot on I40, gonna stop and get a big ass steak in Amarillo, see some friends in Nashville, but I'll more or less just truck it from there. Unless someone has somewhere for me to stop that I just CAN'T miss.

Stopped in Amarillo my first night on my move to MD, went to the Bix Texan for a steak - if that's where you're planning, great steak, but the beer was a little thin. Loved stopping at the Flying Saucer in memphis the next day - just googled, and there's one in Nashville - probably a great place for a couple beers - I loved the one in Memphis.

If you are into sours, American Solera (Chase Healey from Prairie Artisans) new brewery is in Tulsa, does not look that far off 40. I have had his money blend and it was great, makes a few IPAs as well. When you are in NM there is a lot of CO distribution down there. Odell's is great and should be everywhere down there. If you want more CO recommendations let me know and I can check who all is down there. Also everyone says Bosque in NM is must, they are the favorties with La Cumbra.

Not beer related, but on your way down from San Fran, off of the 5 in Coalinga, stop at Harris Ranch for lunch/dinner, great steaks. It's about half way between San Fran and LA.

If you stop in LA, there are plenty of places to go. Check out Ballast Point in Long Beach if it's a nice day just for a rest and the view!

Best to not come down to San Diego as you will get stuck for a week or two. :)

In ABQ last winter we went to Canteen which is really close to the I40-I25 crossing. They limit you to 3 beers a visit but they have beer up to 22oz pours if I remember. What I do remember for sure is their quart can prices are super cheap so you can take a bunch for the rest of the stops on the way home.

Side note, buy a cooler and stock up on to-go beer for reflection when you get home. ;)

Best to not come down to San Diego as you will get stuck for a week or two. :)

In ABQ last winter we went to Canteen which is really close to the I40-I25 crossing. They limit you to 3 beers a visit but they have beer up to 22oz pours if I remember. What I do remember for sure is their quart can prices are super cheap so you can take a bunch for the rest of the stops on the way home.

Side note, buy a cooler and stock up on to-go beer for reflection when you get home. ;)

Haha, get stuck as in not want to leave, not literally stuck, I assume, right?

Lost Abbey(s) are my main focus down there, everything else will be gravy. Got a good friend living in ABQ so hopefully he knows all the best spots to take me while I'm there.

Haha, get stuck as in not want to leave, not literally stuck, I assume, right?

Lost Abbey(s) are my main focus down there, everything else will be gravy. Got a good friend living in ABQ so hopefully he knows all the best spots to take me while I'm there.

I wasn't sure if you were heading that far south... FYI if you're trying to avoid LA/SD, you should cut over from the 5 to Las Vegas north of LA to avoid the nasty traffic you're sure to encounter in LA.

But if you *are* headed that far south, and you're interested in Lost Abbey beers, definitely make a stop at The Bruery on your way down to San Diego... The Bruery isn't far out of your way as you head south on I-5 though LA/OC.

If you head that far south, feel free to PM me when you know your schedule. Depending on my schedule, I might be able to meet you for a beer.

I wasn't sure if you were heading that far south... FYI if you're trying to avoid LA/SD, you should cut over from the 5 to Las Vegas north of LA to avoid the nasty traffic you're sure to encounter in LA.

But if you *are* headed that far south, and you're interested in Lost Abbey beers, definitely make a stop at The Bruery on your way down to San Diego... The Bruery isn't far out of your way as you head south on I-5 though LA/OC.

If you head that far south, feel free to PM me when you know your schedule. Depending on my schedule, I might be able to meet you for a beer.

I am heading down as far as San diego. I decided it'll be a long time, if ever, before I get another chance to hit the Lost Abbey so I'm just going to make it happen. As of now the plan is to spend Fri night in San Fran, and sat night in san diego. That could change a day or two in either direction depending on how the trip goes, sitting at the airport in VA as I type this up!

I am heading down as far as San diego. I decided it'll be a long time, if ever, before I get another chance to hit the Lost Abbey so I'm just going to make it happen. As of now the plan is to spend Fri night in San Fran, and sat night in san diego. That could change a day or two in either direction depending on how the trip goes, sitting at the airport in VA as I type this up!

So from SF->SD, you have three options:

I-5 - Boring but fast.
101 - Scenic but slow.
Hwy 1 through Big Sur - bucket-list scenic but VERY slow.

If you can extend that portion by a day, consider doing Hwy 1. It's an absolutely stunning drive. (Check weather though, there's a storm coming in to SoCal -- not sure how much it'll affect the central coast).

Even if you can't I'd consider doing 101. It's slower, but you'll see a lot more of California's natural beauty than just following big rigs on I-5...

Either way, try to get an early start on Saturday, as even the I-5 route is probably 7 hours from SF->SD.

I'm leaning towards 101 as I'd love to hit the Firestone in PR as well as some barrel works in Buellton. Leaving portland today with Redding as my end goal for the night, so may be a day ahead of schedule already.

+1 on The Bruery, one of my all time favorites.

If you leave San Diego via I-8, stop at Alpine on your way out of town (especially if you're a hop-head).

If you wind up on I-40 west of Albuquerque, Laguna Burger is a must (you'll see the signs). It's the best green chili cheeseburger I've ever had. It's cooked to order from fresh beef, so it's not fast. Pass on the fries, they're horrible!

In, ABQ, Marble and LaCumbre are worth a quick stop for a flight.

If you're rolling through Flagstaff, Dark Sky and Mother Road are good stuff.

Aright guys, I need some help, haha. I'm in Santa Cruz for the night and debating if the lost abbey stop is worth the extra ~200 miles. Their sours are some of my favorite US beers I've had, but I have this feeling I'm gonna get down there and get not a whole lot more than I could find in bottle shops. If I weren't getting 10mpg I wouldn't even think about it...

So, what say ye? You have a few hours to make my mind up for me.

I believe there is a Santa Cruz Brewing Company right where you are at. Why not give the local scene a try ?

Aright guys, I need some help, haha. I'm in Santa Cruz for the night and debating if the lost abbey stop is worth the extra ~200 miles. Their sours are some of my favorite US beers I've had, but I have this feeling I'm gonna get down there and get not a whole lot more than I could find in bottle shops. If I weren't getting 10mpg I wouldn't even think about it...

So, what say ye? You have a few hours to make my mind up for me.

Not sure what you decided, but you wouldn't be walking into nice weather down here, I'll tell you that...

I wouldn't necessarily come to SD just for Lost Abbey. If you were able to spend a full day in SD hitting 4-6 breweries, I think you'd find it worth it, because there are currently 137 in the county...

If it's just Lost Abbey, I'd skip SoCal and stay to the route north of LA entirely through the desert to get over to Vegas.But if you have enough time to spend a full day in SD, come to SD.

Back