San Diego Visit March 20th & 21st

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdhende

Reaction score
I'll be visiting San Diego on March 20th & 21st for the first time since I've been of legal drinking age. I'll be meeting up with a buddy in the Marines and we'll be staying on Coronado Island

My plan is to hit up some of these fine establishments while I'm out: Toronado (hoping we can get to try Cable car), O'brians, Pizza port, Alpine, Tiger Tiger, blind lady, alesmith....etc.

Would love food recommendations? Cool tourist things to do? Also if any of you locals are up for a trade I could haul some Chicago stuff out. Also would absolutely be down for a bottle share or even just meeting at a pub to have a few drinks.

Let me know your thoughts/recommendations or just post NBA Memes/Gifs.

Cheers,
Jeff

vince-carter-olympic-dunk-o.gif

Last edited:
I'll be visiting San Diego on March 20th & 21st for the first time since I've been of legal drinking age. I'll be meeting up with a buddy in the Marines and we'll be staying on site at Camp Pendleton.

My plan is to hit up some of these fine establishments while I'm out: Toronado (hoping we can get to try Cable car), O'brians, Pizza port, Alpine, Tiger Tiger, blind lady, alesmith....etc.

Would love food recommendations? Cool tourist things to do? Also if any of you locals are up for a trade I could haul some Chicago stuff out. Also would absolutely be down for a bottle share or even just meeting at a pub to have a few drinks.

Let me know your thoughts/recommendations or just post NBA Memes/Gifs.

Cheers,
Jeff

vince-carter-olympic-dunk-o.gif

Have you checked a map yet? If you're staying at Camp Pendleton, you're a good 45 min away from SD proper. That's going to make a long drive home for someone if you're planning on downing a few at Toronado, Blind Lady, etc.

PP Carlsbad is pretty close, and I'd check out the north county scene. You could probably have a pretty reasonable trip and never leave Churchills. Lost Abbey and Stone are reasonably close as well. No doubt there are some new breweries in that area since I've lived there as well.

Have you checked a map yet? If you're staying at Camp Pendleton, you're a good 45 min away from SD proper. That's going to make a long drive home for someone if you're planning on downing a few at Toronado, Blind Lady, etc.

PP Carlsbad is pretty close, and I'd check out the north county scene. You could probably have a pretty reasonable trip and never leave Churchills. Lost Abbey and Stone are reasonably close as well. No doubt there are some new breweries in that area since I've lived there as well.

Thanks for the tip. I think we are staying much closer than what I listed. Apparently the Marines have rooms/apartments are on Coronado Island. So hopefully that gives a better idea of where I'll be. Sometimes I'm silly and forget Google maps is my friend.

Last edited:
The last four or five pages of the print version of the West Coaster have beer maps and lists. Their PDF version seems botched this month, but you get the idea. Just about any beer related place will have free paper copies of this publication.

http://www.westcoastersd.com/editorial/

I think Nano should talk them into maintaining his Google maps version as well.

Eat when you are at the above.
Yes yes and yes.
Me, first time I ever went there: “Why the **** does the Banh Mi cost 10 bucks?”
Me, 15 minutes later: “Ohhhhhhhhh”

Also if you manage to go as far as Obriens, you will be doing yourself a huge disservice if you don’t go to Societe. Obriens almost always has at least one of their beers on tap but that’s not enough.

Yes yes and yes.
Me, first time I ever went there: “Why the **** does the Banh Mi cost 10 bucks?”

Also if you manage to go as far as Obriens, you will be doing yourself a huge disservice if you don’t go to Societe. Obriens almost always has at least one of their beers on tap but that’s not enough.

You know what I've yet to figure out? Why I've never seen more than a few people at the bar in Societe. Seriously - it usually is almost deserted when I go, though there *always* are at least a few people filling growlers at any given moment. I think they may have the ideal location / setup for a microbrewery.

And I don't care what people think - Bachelor / Amarillo kicks ass.

Societe also has giant cluster****s of brewery buses.

I must have a sixth sense about avoiding those things.

I have gotten nailed a few times at Alesmith, but as long as there are at least 2 people behind the bar it's no issue. :)

I must have a sixth sense about avoiding those things.

I have gotten nailed a few times at Alesmith, but as long as there are at least 2 people behind the bar it's no issue. :)
Yeah the brew tour people are super dumb. They all line up. Oh hi I'll just go to this side of the bar.

Societe also has giant cluster****s of brewery buses.
It’s gotten much better in the past few months – I used to avoid Societe on Fridays and Saturdays because of the buses, but ever since they instated their we-can’t-be-your-last-stop-on-the-tour policy, I’ve never had a problem going there even during peak hours on those days.

Yeah the brew tour people are super dumb. They all line up. Oh hi I'll just go to this side of the bar.

I have a strong feeling that we've met in real life, probably at Alesmith.

I don't even need to do that, though. You go to Alesmith enough, and they figure out what you will order. Eye contact is all that is necessary.

Sage , ehammond, and Dom are the only TB peeps I've met in tha realz. Possible others but we didn't realize it.

Not counting pre beer internet friends like Josh etc

You’ve been pretty good at ducking under the radar IRL.

Not by design - I'm just drunk enough when I see people I recognize that they don't want anything to do with me.

And then there's the family-kid thing which has me on odd schedules.

If you are in San Diego, definitely go to Societe, Rip Current, Alesmith, Tiger! Tiger!, if you like old video games Coin-Op in North Park is cool and they do awesome craft cocktails and are open past 1am in NP which is rare.

Will you have a car?

1992175_o.gif

love that dunk

pippen-dunks-on-ewing-o.gif

All awesome and helpful tips! I will indeed have a car. If anyone wants to meet for a drink on Thursday or Friday night in San Diego let me know. Plan is to hit up lots of the suggestions people have thrown out my way.

Side note recently tried Lost Abbey Spontaneous cheer. Awesome 1 off brew from Tomme. Also really nice guy to talk too!

Yes yes and yes.

Societe is on the short list! Just don't think i'll be buying 1 of those really expensive growlers to bring home.

If you are in San Diego . . . Tiger! Tiger!, if you like old video games Coin-Op in North Park is cool and they do awesome craft cocktails and are open past 1am in NP which is rare.

I'll be down there for the Willie Nelson concert & Oakquinox in a few weeks.

Tell me more about this TigerTiger and Coin-Op. Never been/heard of.

Back