San Diego Super Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im brewing a SMaSH with 12lbs Golden Promise and Citra this weekend, actually doing two 5 gallon BIAB batches, but I have standard US-05 for one batch but also picked up a pack of San Diego Super yeast because I was in Minneapolis and hit up Northern Brewer, question is should I make a starter for the San Diego Super?

Target OG? Age of the yeast? How quickly do you want it to take off?

The easy answer is yes, make the starter, but really, it's up to you. Starter - it'll make beer. No starter - it'll make beer, probably of the same quality.

Yeast straight from the tube will likely have a much longer lag time before fermentation really takes off. That lag time is generally thought to be much shorter when a starter is used.

Yeast straight from the tube will likely have a much longer lag time before fermentation really takes off. That lag time is generally thought to be much shorter when a starter is used.

It takes a certain amount of yeast to ferment out your beer. To get there you can:
1. Buy lots of yeast and pitch it. Your beer will start quickly because the yeast don't need to propagate.
2. Make a starter and let your yeast propagate there. They will likely propagate faster in the starter than they would in your wort because you will create the conditions to make that happen, warmer and more oxygen. The drawback of this is it takes more preparation and another vessel to clean.
3. Pitch the yeast straight from the tube. Make sure your wort is well aerated as that is what the yeast need for propagation. It will take longer for the fermentation to get rolling because you likely will have pitched into cooler wort than with a starter and less oxygen.

Latest posts

Back