San Diego Brewers (regarding water)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
Just wondering where other san diego brewers get their water from. I live in La Mesa and I could either use tap water with a brita charcoal filter or buy it from the store. What do you guys think. Where do you get yours?

When I lived in Carlsbad, I always used city water for boiling & distilled for topping off if I needed it. Then again, Carlsbad has one of the better public utility services in the county, so I can't vouch for places further south.

jkh389 said:
All us san diego brewers should meet up sometime???

Agree'd. Also, right now I just use drinking water until I do a little more research on what I want in water for each style, and check out the city's water profile. I'm going to a brewery this week if anyone is down to go. I haven't decided which one yet though.

Just wondering where other san diego brewers get their water from. I live in La Mesa and I could either use tap water with a brita charcoal filter or buy it from the store. What do you guys think. Where do you get yours?

I also live in La Mesa, near Lake Murray, the tap water has chloramines. I have a charcoal water filter setup, that i built, that I use for my water needs. I also toss in some campden tablets just to be sure.

Before that I would take a bunch of empty jugs down to one of those water machines and get water that way.

I'm free to go to a brewery this weekend... just name the time and place! I might bring one of my home brews for some people to taste test and tell me what their thoughts are.

I live in Lemon Grove and we are supplied through the Helix Water District (I think La Mesa is as well.) We have an RO filter on the kitchen sink and I use that for my brews along with a half a Campden (sp?) tab dissolved an hour or so before I start brewing. Seems to work out OK for my brews (just ales so far)

Larry-

I'm just up the road from you in rancho san diego, I'm in the Otay water district.

I dont have an RO system, but when I used tap water I would run it through a charcoal filter. After about ten batches I couldn't take it anymore. My beers always had an odd flavor, not horrible, but definetly something weird.

I've since switched back to bottled water, although it does raise the cost per batch I'm happier with the results.

Being from the Northeast I really miss the water out there, everything in SoCal just tastes awful.

When I lived in Carlsbad, I always used city water for boiling & distilled for topping off if I needed it. Then again, Carlsbad has one of the better public utility services in the county, so I can't vouch for places further south.

I live in Carlsbad as well and just use tap. I brew AG so no topping off for me. I want to try and buy water from those machines to see if I can taste a difference.

In regards to meeting up, sounds good to me. They just opened up a new brewery/tasting room right up the road from me on El Camino Real and Faraday called "On the Tracks" if any one wants to ever go there let me know.

I live in Carlsbad as well and just use tap. I brew AG so no topping off for me. I want to try and buy water from those machines to see if I can taste a difference.

One thing to keep in mind about the water machines - that's just regular tap water running through a filtration system. Depending on how good they are at changing filters will make a difference in how good the water is. I bought an under sink RO system at HD and I change out the filters (2 on this model) about once a year. I drink lots of water every day and I'm very satisfied with the taste from our filters. I'm going to assume that good tasting water means good tasting beer - all things being equal. We used to get Sparkletts delivered years ago but the RO filters made water that tasted just as good and it saves me a ton of money.

Just my 2¢

^ Good point. I can always buy a filter from the depot and rig it to my brew stand and go from there. I have no complaints with my water, but if a $30 filter can make it better why not then right! Hell I can always hook it up to my sink if I dont see a difference.

Oh and watch out for those undersink RO's. I fix a **** ton of home's each year from those things failing, of course when your away for the day or weekend.

any1 of you guys interested in going to Ballast Point on Sat at around 3pm? It's apparently got one of the best IPAs in CA according to Food & Wine magazine. If you guys are interested pm your phone number. I'll text you more info.

I'm in La Mesa as well (close to lake Murray). I filter my Tap water through a carbon block filter (very slowly) add a couple tbsp of 5.2 and brew if its a stout or mild. If its a Kolsch or anything light I use around 50/50 RO mixed with filtered tap water and 5.2 ph stabilizer. I have been very happy with my beer since.

I don't trust the water in our complex and the plumbing it comes through. I wont drink it so I wont brew with it. I use bottled spring.

any1 of you guys interested in going to Ballast Point on Sat at around 3pm? It's apparently got one of the best IPAs in CA according to Food & Wine magazine. If you guys are interested pm your phone number. I'll text you more info.

I was already planning on heading there tomorrow(linda vista HB location) around that time. :mug: Usually there on Fridays to fill but have plans with family tonight. If the mag is referring to Sculpin IPA then that is one tasty brew. Ballast point just had a dinner event Wed so they have some nice specialty brew on tap now. Not sure what will be left but the Linda Vista location is their specialty brew shop and has a better selection.

Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter sounds fantastic right about now. My friend is remodeling the place right now (There expanding) and he's been my beer taxi the last week and a half for growler fills. I wanted to go in there tomorrow as well but If I was able to I would not be able to get down there till after 1.

I think i'm gonna settle for a sixer of Deschutes black butte porter tonight while I brew my American Stout II.

I'm part of the Alvarado district. The water is a little hard, but all in all it is usable. Blending city water (charcoal filtered, of course) with RO will give you a good mix for just about any beer you want to make. I think a Brita filter would be annoying with the volumes of water you need.

Cool, so far three of us are meeting at the Linda Vista (Home Brew Mart) location at 3pm. If anyone else is interested, pm me!

Cool, so far three of us are meeting at the Linda Vista (Home Brew Mart) location at 3pm. If anyone else is interested, pm me!

You picked a bad weekend. There are a LOT of members from this board in town right now, but we're all at the National Homebrew Conference.

carnevoodoo said:
You picked a bad weekend. There are a LOT of members from this board in town right now, but we're all at the National Homebrew Conference.

Apparently not all of us. There's a ton at HBM.

Latest posts

Back