Samoa Cookie Porter (1st homemade recipe help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post. I just got into brewing and am already addicted. My first brew a English Nut Brown Ale is still in the secondary and I already have to make another.

I'm trying to make a robust porter with chocolate and caramel hints in it and a finish of toasted coconut much like a girl scout's samoa cookie. I want it to maintain its robust malty and toasty flavor and not become too sweet. This is what i kind of put together please let me know what you think. Thanks

8 lbs Pale DME
18 oz Chocolate Malt
18 oz Caramel Malt 80L
1 oz Fuggles hops (7.5% AA) for bittering (60min)
1 oz Perle hops (7.2% AA) for aroma (15min)
8 oz Ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa (by volume) (5min)
6oz Caramelized Sugar (1min)
California V Ale Yeast (WLP051)

14oz Toasted Coconut in secondary

This is for 5 gallons right? I think using dark extract and then over a lb of chocolate malt will be excessive. i find that i don't like chocolate malt in excess of 1/2 a lb. Plus the dark extract probably has chocolate malt in it. And then on top of that you're adding chocolate which will probably add mostly bitter chocolate flavors. That'll be a lot.

Sounds awesome! Maybe even try roasting some coconut flakes and adding them to the steeped grains. You can also buy coconut extract to add to the fermenter, has anyone tried adding this to beer before? Sounds like it'll be good either way, but that might give it the distinct flavor your looking for.

edit: just saw that you were planning to add the coconut to the fermenter, didn't see that at the bottom first time around! Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Back