Same Batch: Two Kegs: Two Flavors??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
Teamed up with a neighbor and brewed a cream ale. Kegged after 4 weeks and let condition a week. We split the brew (2.5gal each) into our own kegs. My brew is great! Nice creamy head and great flavor. Neighbor can hardly choke down half a glass. I'm going to taste it myself tonight, but he said it tastes apple-like. Any ideas? This baffles me......:confused:

My first guess would be that he did not sanitize his keg properly and ended up with an infection of some sort. I am not sure that infection can taste like apple, but it would explain unpleasant flavors.

I hope when I taste it tonight I can tell what's up with it. My first thought was bacteria in the keg...I've read Yooperbrew talk about that in other threads.

According to How To Brew a green apple taste indicates a beer that is too young: Off Flavors. Since yours is great I'm not sure why his wouldn't be, possibly if he's had his at too low of a temp it hasn't been conditioning any further since it was kegged. More of a cidery flavor can come from fermentation too warm, but that doesn't sound right since your batches fermented together. It does say this can also be from an aceto bacteria infection, so I guess it could have been a dirty keg too.

Back