Sam Adams Utopia 250 what?..come again sir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
Just stopped in one of my top three beer stores and they had a bottle of Utopia on the counter.The bottle really caught my eye resembling a old style copper beer still so i took a closer look and i was a little let down because it was Sam Adams.Asked the guy at the counter how much it was going for and he said $250.00 at that point I chuckled and walked away.The only beer that comes to mind i would even fathom spending that much cash on is a westmalle12..

It shouldn't be more than $200...even thats expensive. I think its worth it. I have some 2007 every new years eve and its one of the most complex liquids I have ever taste. Granted, this is my brother-in-law sharing his with me but its amazing.

I might not buy it but I wouldn't mind it as a gift for a birthday or something. You're not drinking anymore than a few ounces at a time so it lasts a while.

Utopia's' is one of the most over the top beers ever brewed (if you even choose to define it as beer). I may or may not get to taste it one day, but $200 a bottle is a bit out of my league.

I had an oz pour of the 2011 @ gabf Thursday session, it was good..... a barleywine/ liqueur is as best as I can describe it. I'll probably buy a bottle one day just to have one. It's at least not overrated imo compared to a beer like say Westvleteren 12.

Utopias easily goes for that much, depending on location.
I have had it a couple times, and I think that it's really good. It's not really like beer, it's more of a liqueur. Certainly not something to sit around and drink the whole thing at once.
SA says, and I have friends who've had it that agree, that it can be opened and resealed over and over with no effect to the brew.
I saw a bottle for $150 and I'm thinking really hard about it. $200 maybe, $250 might be a touch high, but like I said, I've seen it for that and more many times.

I would never pay that kind of money for any drink. It might be unique unlike anything I've ever had but if I want to taste something good that is high alcohol I'll just buy a bottle of our local distillery's French Oak & Applewood aged Whisky for $25!

I would never pay that much for a "beer", not even if I was Bill Gates rich because it only encourages them.

I have had it a few times at some of the local festivals and the last time I visited the Brewery here in MA. While it is quite good I am not sure that I would spend $250 for it but really that could be me being kinda cheap? One thing to remember is that it is not an all malt beer. They start with a lower gravity beer and feed the yeast maple syrup to get the percentage up.

i have in years past purchased 5 bottles for 179 each around thanksgiving and resold them in February for approx 375-400 each.

I have a friend who works for monarch beverage its a huge distributor and he can buy them for 109 a bottle.

Utopias are excellent. I've had small pours of two different vintages at a local beer fest (Beervana in RI) the past two years. I'm pretty certain I wouldn't lay out that kind of hard-earned cash for a bottle, but then again, I wouldn't lay down that kind of hard-earned cash for much. However, if I ever found $200 in the street, a bottle of Utopia is on my short list of things I'd consider.

Back