Sam Adams Oktoberfest label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderbock

Reaction score
Not really about homebrewing, but I was noticing my wifes SA Oktoberfest label last night, and on the left lower side of the label it had lager, but on the top left of it, written sideways is has Ale in TX.

Any clues what this means? Is Sam Adams brewed different for Tx that makes it an Ale vs. a lager. I dont have a boston lager bottle to see if it is on it as well.

Many states are still in the dark ages of the world. In texas, I believe, any beer over a certain percent alcohol is "ale". Ridiculous? Oh yeah.

Malt liquor exists for the same reason. In many states malt liquor is just beer over a certain percent. Quite stupid really, but we have to keep the devil's juice contained. :rolleyes:

So I belive in Alabama, or some southern state, they can't get beer over 6%. Is it possible to market any beer over 6% in that state as malt liquor and get around it?

Back