Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
I'm looking for a cloned extract recipe. Anyone know of one, or have suggestions for where to start?

After reading numerous threads about this beer on this site, it seems no one likes it :( I happen to be a fan of fruit beers, and Wit's are my favorite. While this is not a true Wit, it is definitely delicious in my opinion.

Thanks

I haven't had it, but their website has enough info for a reasonably educated guess:

Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier is brewed with two-row Harrington and Metcalfe malts and generous portions of malted wheat.

Flavor: Brewed with Oregon Marion blackberries, orange peel, and coriander to complement the malted wheat.
Color: Hazy gold
Original Gravity: 13.2° Plato
Alcohol by Vol/Wt: 5.5%ABV – 4.3%ABW
Calories/12 oz.: 176
Malt Varieties: Two-row Harrington, Metcalfe and Copeland pale malts, and malted wheat
Hop Variety: Hallertau Mittelfrueh Noble hops
Special Ingredient: Marion blackberries, orange peel, coriander
Yeast Strain: Samuel Adams ale yeast

I'd go with 6 lbs of Wheat DME (which is a blend of wheat and pale barley).

12-15 IBUs of Hallertau (or any European-ish hop at the start of the boil).

.5 oz of corriander @ 5 minutes (I like the sort from an Indian market if you can get it)
.5 oz of freshly grated orange zest @ 0 min

Chill below 70, then pitch a clean ale yeast. White Labs sells their strain: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp008.html but any "American" strain will be fine. FG should be ~1.012

For the blackberries I'm not sure if they add extract or real fruit (that fact that it is golden and not purple makes me suspect extract). If you want to go with real fruit, I'd add ~5 lbs of frozen/thawed berries to the secondary for ~2-3 weeks before bottling. For exract, add it to taste in the bottling bucket.

Carbonate to a medium level, ~2.5 volumes.

Hope that helps, good luck.

think I Just threw up a little in my mouth.

OK I'm leaving, hope someone can help you.

think I Just threw up a little in my mouth.

OK I'm leaving, hope someone can help you.

Thanks for the insight… It may not be my favorite style of beer, but I don't see it as my place to tell other people what they should enjoy.

^^^Helpful Candy, thanks.

I'm with you, I kinda like their Blackberry Wit as well.

Take a look at this thread.

Basically the advice there says brew your beer and ferment as normal, then add the fruit directly to the secondary. He also suggests racking to a tertiary to get seeds/fruit gunk out before bottling. The recipe Oldsock posted seems good to me. Good luck man!

Sorry, I know I should have kept my mouth shut, and I know we all have different tastes.

:eek:

Sorry, I know I should have kept my mouth shut, and I know we all have different tastes.

:eek:

The same could be said for stouts ;) Yuck!

Oldsock/TheDom -

Thanks for the information. I'm going to go for the real fruit route. It's not so much the taste, as it's quite strong... it's the smell and the undertones I love.

I grew up eating Oregon Marionberries/Blackberries when I lived on the Northwest coast. It reminds me of home.

Back