Salvaging the Hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as those grains don't have hops or chocolate your buddies will be happy.

It truly sounds like things went good and the gravity reading is just fine. Report back when you see krausen. :)
You did good!

As long as those grains don't have hops or chocolate your buddies will be happy.

It truly sounds like things went good and the gravity reading is just fine. Report back when you see krausen. :)
You did good!

No hops or chocolate, they sadly taste better than some of the granola garbage I have for lunch now and then :cross:

So, another mishap apparently. I had never heard of krausen, so I'm reading up on it now. Apparently I should start fermenting in carboy instead of the brewmaster 5000 bucket or whatever it is the brew store sold me. Imagine its not the best thing to keep taking the lid off to check. I will however (also for the first time) transfer it in 7 days to the carboy for secondary fermentation and toss in the citra hops. I'm excited to use the carboy, I never had sadly.

The airlock started bubbling in the middle of the night, so it seems something is happening. Now I am going to have to start reading up on priming, bottling and if there is something I can do to avoid getting all the "stuff" into the beer when doing so.

Took me longer to chill it than I thought it would, all the ice I had saved up melted so fast. If this one turns out okay, I will invest in a wort chiller at least. Tucking it in now, thanks so much for all your help. There will be updates for sure.

edit: aside from the entire process taking me about two hours longer than it should have, from being nervous and very cautious about being clean and meticulous as well as the chilling issue.. it seemed to go pretty smooth. I used the Chainmail Pale Ale recipe I found and linked earlier which says OG should be 1.055, mine seemed to be at 1.058. I do not know if this is good or bad, I always take these measurements but they mean very little to me. The wort also tasted very sweet, and then hit the sides of the tongue with bitter hops. Its the most interesting wort I have tasted from any of my brews so far. I ran to the store to buy ice and chilled the wort to a nice temperature for the first time as well as aerated it well, for the first time. The only strange observation, was that it was a very rich, almost chocolate brown color. Not what I expected for a recipe labeled Pale Ale, but that doesnt bother me. My only worry at this point aside from the obvious (will it turn out okay?), is how much stuff is in it! It used a lot of hops. After reading more contradictory posts about whether or not to strain from kettle to fermentation... I strained it through a mesh strainer just once, at the same time aerating it.

TL;DR: I am very excited and grateful for everyones help (especially from Hello, may have to name it after her) :) And a side note, I turned the leftover mashed grains into dog biscuits for my coolest friends Sadie and Frigga! Goodnight all, cant wait to try it!

So now that I'm more awake I want to address a few things.

Color:
You did a partial mash recipe and there is definitely a possibility of getting your beer to a nice pale golden color but in my experience with extract (liquid = LME) is that the color will always be a bit darker because the extract is a darker, even pale extract. Also, there is the point where if you add it too early in the boil you will caramelize it more and the color will get darker. You added it later on, which is what you always want to do.

You did not mention how much water you started with and how much you ended up with. If you did not keep track then do that next time It is very important. If you did, what were those numbers? My guess is you boiled things a bit more vigorously and your pale could be more golden. Do not worry about color right now. This is about taste.

Sweet Wort:
Wort is sweet. I tell people it is like sugar water and the yeast will eat most of the sugar. How the wort tastes won't really tell you the final product results but a good tasting wort is definitely a good sign.

Hop Trub:
There are a few things you can do here. Use a hop sock, like I mentioned before. Cheap and easy. Or you can chill your wort which will also let the trub settle to the bottom. At that point you can use an auto siphon to rack (move) the beer from the kettle to the carboy. In the end though, trub in the fermenter isn't bad and it will settle out. I would not worry about it. You strained it and that is good so you'll be okay.

Gravity Reading:
The reading you took is the specific gravity of your beer. It is the starting point. The end point is the final gravity. The two combined with some fancy math results in you knowing the ABV of your beer. The FG reading will also tell you when your beer is finished. There is no other way. Airlocks bubbling or not bubbling, the julian calendar telling you that it is time, instructions found in the box of ingredients, or dudes on the net...no one will be able to tell you when the beer is truly done. Your final gravity should be around 1.010. The hop schedule now is to wait 7 days then either put more hops in or move to secondary and put more hops in. Like I said, I'd just put more hops into primary but you WILL get varied opinions and definite great arguments for and against that. It is just how I roll.

So in 7 days you add those hops and 7 days after that you should take your very first reading. If that is 1.010 (within a point or two like 1.009 or 1.011) then wait another 2 days and take another reading. If it is the same then technically you can bottle. I always recommend just giving the beer 3 weeks after you brew to let the yeast finish up. Regardless, I think waiting 3 weeks isn't terrible in this situation.

Time:
One thing I learned about brew day is that you should never expect to set a time limit. If you have something to do in 5 hours and you start to brew, you will likely find that you needed 6. Sometimes things take longer than others and once you're back in the saddle, you'll find that you can move along more efficiently.

Overall, it sounds like brew day went a lot better than other brew days or at least you seem more hopeful. Hopefully you remember to report back here with your results and hopefully your satisfaction with your new brew. :) Now I will quit my excessive rambling and go do whatever it is I do all day. :D

Still can not express how thankful I am for all this information. The small amounts at a time are much less daunting than the wealth of opinions I find when searching for an answer.

So I mashed in with 2 gallons; sparged with 2 gallons (of the same temp) and in the end after chilling the wort, ended up having to add just a touch over a gallon to top off the FV to 5gal. I hope this is all acceptable. This was also my first partial mash, being a cook, I really dislike using extracts. It just feels like using frozen food, but at this point I was desperate and I will be happy just to be back in the game. I only brought up taste of the wort to compare to those in the past. Previous worts never really tasted like much of anything more than having a hint of spices I had added late. Gaah. Can't stop thinking about it! Way too excited.

Still can not express how thankful I am for all this information. The small amounts at a time are much less daunting than the wealth of opinions I find when searching for an answer.

So I mashed in with 2 gallons; sparged with 2 gallons (of the same temp) and in the end after chilling the wort, ended up having to add just a touch over a gallon to top off the FV to 5gal. I hope this is all acceptable. This was also my first partial mash, being a cook, I really dislike using extracts. It just feels like using frozen food, but at this point I was desperate and I will be happy just to be back in the game. I only brought up taste of the wort to compare to those in the past. Previous worts never really tasted like much of anything more than having a hint of spices I had added late. Gaah. Can't stop thinking about it! Way too excited.

Unless you grow it yourself, everything is processed to some degree. Using grain is more fun, gives you more control, etc. But extract works, too. You don't worry about using ketchup, do you? Or bread crumbs?

It's hard to get a light colored, really crisp beer with extract. Other than that, there's no problem with using it.

No hops or chocolate, they sadly taste better than some of the granola garbage I have for lunch now and then :cross:

So, another mishap apparently. I had never heard of krausen, so I'm reading up on it now. Apparently I should start fermenting in carboy instead of the brewmaster 5000 bucket or whatever it is the brew store sold me. Imagine its not the best thing to keep taking the lid off to check. I will however (also for the first time) transfer it in 7 days to the carboy for secondary fermentation and toss in the citra hops. I'm excited to use the carboy, I never had sadly.

The airlock started bubbling in the middle of the night, so it seems something is happening. Now I am going to have to start reading up on priming, bottling and if there is something I can do to avoid getting all the "stuff" into the beer when doing so.

You're fine in the bucket, probably better off. It gives you more headspace and you're less likely to have to worry about blow offs, etc. be patient tho and try not to open the bucket. Each time you open it to peek at your beer your only increasing your chances of infection.

I'm with Hello in that I don't think you need to rack to a secondary vessel. I'd wait 2-3 weeks, take a gravity reading, and if it's where you expect it to be, add your dry hops directly to primary. You can use a hop sock for dry hopping as well or just drop them in.

As far as bottling and leaving the trub behind, yes you're going to end up losing some beer, but it's inevitable. 2-3 weeks should be enough time for the yeast cake and all the trub to get compacted on the bottom of the bucket. Stop racking when you start pulling up the trub.

You're fine in the bucket, probably better off. It gives you more headspace and you're less likely to have to worry about blow offs, etc. be patient tho and try not to open the bucket. Each time you open it to peek at your beer your only increasing your chances of infection.

I'm with Hello in that I don't think you need to rack to a secondary vessel. I'd wait 2-3 weeks, take a gravity reading, and if it's where you expect it to be, add your dry hops directly to primary. You can use a hop sock for dry hopping as well or just drop them in.

As far as bottling and leaving the trub behind, yes you're going to end up losing some beer, but it's inevitable. 2-3 weeks should be enough time for the yeast cake and all the trub to get compacted on the bottom of the bucket. Stop racking when you start pulling up the trub.

I was literally just going to mention that after reading more into it, again I've found pro's and con's and moving to a secondary seems sketchy. Maybe I will just let this one be, figure out when to dry hop and bottle and make a new batch of god knows what this weekend with my hops once I harvest on Saturday. I can put that one in the carboy.

While cleaning my equipment last night, I also found 2 surviving bottles of that last batch of gushers I had. Tossed them in the fridge to chill for a few days, thinking I'll try to make a silly gif or something out of them to put the past behind me :p

I was literally just going to mention that after reading more into it, again I've found pro's and con's and moving to a secondary seems sketchy. Maybe I will just let this one be, figure out when to dry hop and bottle and make a new batch of god knows what this weekend with my hops once I harvest on Saturday. I can put that one in the carboy.

While cleaning my equipment last night, I also found 2 surviving bottles of that last batch of gushers I had. Tossed them in the fridge to chill for a few days, thinking I'll try to make a silly gif or something out of them to put the past behind me :p

Like I said, secondary has pros and cons and I don't always recommend it but you WILL get varied responses.

Careful with your bottles of beer. If they were gushers then...well open over the sink.

Do you have a bottling bucket? That is a bucket that has a spigot. Also, do you have an auto-siphon?

BTW, the extract you used is actually the same wort you produce but boiled down to more of a concentrated product. It imparts a flavor that is flat to me which is why steeping grains and other adjuncts are useful ingredients. So technically it is called extract because it is, but it is not the artificial stuff you can get like almond "flavor" versus almond extract. All extracts are, and as a chef you likely know this, are flavors extracted from their natural source. So you're good. Best thing you can ever do when learning to brew or getting back in the saddle is to use extract. You just wait for the day when you decide you want to do all grain, whether the traditional way or the BIAB way. ;)

I also cannot tell you enough that the time to read about bottling is now. So start here please:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/ Revvy's information will save you so much time and agony.

I have a bottling bucket and I have the bottling wand. I looked up the auto syphon, and it does not look like what I have but I do have one. Bottling isn't so much my issue, I have a nice process. I just don't know anything technical about the priming I guess is what I'm getting at. I normally just take whatever amount of sugar, dissolve it and put it in the bucket.

I have a bottling bucket and I have the bottling wand. I looked up the auto syphon, and it does not look like what I have but I do have one. Bottling isn't so much my issue, I have a nice process. I just don't know anything technical about the priming I guess is what I'm getting at. I normally just take whatever amount of sugar, dissolve it and put it in the bucket.
Well, when the beer is done you'll have a compacted yeast cake likely riddled with trub. Basically you can probably get it in a well lit area and see how thick the bottom cake is and get pretty close to your total bottling volume. From there, use that calculator I linked you, and carbonate to style. My guess is you will have about 4.5 gallons to bottle. Using dextrose (bought at the LHBS) and carbing to style, you'll want about 3.7 oz of dextrose. Now, I generally bump that down ever so slightly just to be safe so I'd do 3.5. that is only if you truly have 4.5 gallons. If you think you have less you'll need to use less dextrose.

You will heat the dextrose in a pot with 8 oz of water. Once you have let it come to a boil, you begin racking your beer from your bucket into the bottling bucket. Be sure not to disturb the yeast cake on the bottom. As you begin to fill the bottling bucket with beer, you pour (gently) your priming sugar solution into the bucket. Now I like to sanitize my long spoon and give it a literal swirl, just one and it should be slow and gentle. I also like to add the solution in a little at a time. I also spray the outside of the pot that the solution dumps from just to be super safe.

From there, I begin to bottle.
Does that help?
You might want to indicate your capabilities. Extract, BIAB or traditional all grain.

I think we're kind of past that. :)

Oh yes it absolutely helps. I just want to be prepared for when the time comes. Its going to be tough to wait now, but maybe I can distract myself by putting one in my carboy. Too bad I have to be at work doing drawings for stupid space suits. :mad:

Oh yes it absolutely helps. I just want to be prepared for when the time comes. Its going to be tough to wait now, but maybe I can distract myself by putting one in my carboy. Too bad I have to be at work doing drawings for stupid space suits. :mad:

Dude add a beer feed for the person!

Harvesting my Nugget hops tomorrow!! I was considering picking up a FoodSaver or whatever they are called to vacuum seal little 5oz packages or something. Anyone have thoughts on doing such a thing?

Harvesting my Nugget hops tomorrow!! I was considering picking up a FoodSaver or whatever they are called to vacuum seal little 5oz packages or something. Anyone have thoughts on doing such a thing?

Yes vacuum packing them after drying will help keep them fresh for about 1 year if you keep them in the freezer (maybe longer, opinions from experts are varied and I am not an expert). There is a bigger debate on vacuum packing wet hops and how long they will be fresh for. People do agree on just toss the wet frozen hops into the boil frozen. I have stored some pellet hops vacuum packed and frozen for ~2 years before I felt they were loosing some of their aroma.

ok4a4p.jpg

My first harvest. I got about 4 of these baskets full. Pretty excited, just hope there are no hiccups in the drying and packing process.

Well, to add my experiences, I've never had a beer ferment completely in 7 days. 10 days to finish & start settling is my personal record. Usually 2-3 weeks to get to a stable FG. Then I give it another 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation that make off-flavors before racking it anywhere. The beer should always be at FG before racking. I even dry hop in primary. But again, the beer should be finished & settled out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping. Otherwise, the hop oils (lupulins) coat the yeast & trub particles as they settle out, diminishing hop aromas.
I boil 2C of water in a small SS sauce pan on the stove a couple minutes uncovered to boil off chlorine if I'm using tap water. Then I use my digital scale with either one of these priming calculators to weigh out priming sugar to style;
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
Then add the weighed out priming sugar to the boiling water off the heat & stir till the water goes clear again. Then cover to cool while I sanitize the fermenter, racking tube, etc. I use a large dual layer fine mesh strainer; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-steel-strainer-10-1-4-diameter.html
This gets out the trub, hop gunk, etc & aerates the wort in the process. This gives far less trub & yeast compacted on the bottom of primary by bottling day,giving more clear beer in the bottles. I get 52-55/12oz bottles doing this. I still use an ice bath to chill the hot wort. But I put the hot kettle of wort in the stoppered sink with cold water first to knock off a few degrees. Then drain & fill the area around the kettle to the top of the sink with ice. then top that off with cold water. I keep a floating thermometer; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/floating-thermometer.html
In the kettle to monitor the temperature during cooling. I also use it to gently stir (read whirlpool) the wort/gunk occasionally during cooling to get the gunk in the center of the bottom of the kettle. When chilled to about 75F, I put the fine mesh strainer on top of the bucket or my Cooper's Micro Brew FV & pour the chilled wort through the strainer, aerating it as it does so. Then I use a couple of gallons of the spring water I brewed it with that's been in the fridge a day or two before brew day to top off with. This gets that 75F wort down to 65F or so, a great ale yeast temp.
Now, having said all that, I also rehydrate my dry yeast in 90F water (about 400mL in my erlenmeyer flask) for about 30 minutes while I'm chilling the wort. It'll also cool down while I'm getting everything else ready. Ideally, it should be within 10 degrees of current wort temp to prevent shocking the yeast.
Now, when the beer is done fermenting & settled out clear or slightly misty, dry hop for 5-7 days before bottling it. Rack the beer into the bottling bucket, which should be clean & sanitized, including the spigot. Then, when I get a few inches of beer racked into the bottling bucket, I slowly pour the now somewhat cooled priming solution into the swirling surface of the beer. After racking is done, a few gentle swirls with a sanitized spoon or paddle will do to ensure even mixing of the beer & priming solution. Hope this clears things up a little.:mug:

Now, having said all that, I also rehydrate my dry yeast in 90F water (about 400mL in my erlenmeyer flask) for about 30 minutes while I'm chilling the wort.

I would not recommend rehydrating yeast at 90F. US-05 recommends 80F. I imagine it is different depending upon strain, but 90F seems pretty high for a standard ale yeast.

I would not recommend rehydrating yeast at 90F. US-05 recommends 80F. I imagine it is different depending upon strain, but 90F seems pretty high for a standard ale yeast.

I don't think the temperature you quoted 80f is for rehydrating. 90 degrees is ideal for rehydrating. It can be checked on the yeast companies website.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think the instructions for most ale strains say 90F. I was surprised too, but that's what they said. Frankly I just use room temp water...

I have yet to rehydrate or do anything with my yeast other than just throw it on top of the aerated wort. The airlock started bubbling after only a few hours and has been a constant heartbeat since. We are almost to day 7 in which the recipe called for moving it to secondary, but I believe I may let it ride another 7 and then dry hop it for the last 7 before bottling. This is my idea after all the accumulated info I've mashed together in my head after reading this forum and others. I have a feeling this one may be quite cloudy though, there was a lot of stuff left in it.

Update:

We are now on Day 6, I was planning on transferring it to Secondary tomorrow. My airlock however has stopped bubbling and I was wondering if I should be concerned, or if I should transfer tonight or add more yeast? I've never had one stop, they usually bubble violently until the end. I followed this recipe completely too, didn't substitute anything.

When the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. Patience grasshopper.

This last batch I made a Pale Ale. All was going good. Hanging out with my buddy, drinking a couple of beers BrewerinBr dropped off in exchange for some hops, and then at the end I realized I didn't even take a gravity reading! So I dabbed some wort on my refractometer and found I was off by only .03.

I was so lazy at that point that I skipped rehydrating and just pitched the dry yeast right on the wort! (I feel it's not a sin if the gravity is low enough...)

I should probably check it today and see if it got started.

Should I take a hydrometer reading tomorrow when I transfer to secondary or just transfer it and take a reading in another week when I dry hop? Also any suggestions for taking the reading would be welcome.

Normal procedure for me would've been to clean a tube and siphon a little out into the hydrometer tube.

Only being on day 6, i'd wait until day 10 or 14. Sanitize anything you take the sample with. Like a baster or auto siphon. I never rack beer anywhere until a stable FG is reached.

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-7days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-14 days @68-70

This is what the recipe says that I was going off. Thank you for reminding me! I had always got to this point and remember when it was too late, how great it would be to have a baster! I cook and don't have a baster. It makes me angry. I'm going to go buy one on the way home from work :cross:

I recommend a wine thief if and when you can get one. Much easier than a baster IMO.

And I concur with uniondr; this is not a production plant or a race. Wait until 10 days are up.

I don't think the temperature you quoted 80f is for rehydrating. 90 degrees is ideal for rehydrating. It can be checked on the yeast companies website.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think the instructions for most ale strains say 90F. I was surprised too, but that's what they said. Frankly I just use room temp water...
Possibly. They were indeed kit instructions from long ago but US-05 had something at some point that said 80F. I checked the PDF and this is what it says:
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°c ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition.

So when I said "US-05 recommends 80F" I am either right or I am wrong based on the above. As it stands, I believe that 80F meant 80F but with the +/- 6, perhaps that is where 90F comes into play...with muddy math.

I'm interested to learn this too.

I have yet to rehydrate or do anything with my yeast other than just throw it on top of the aerated wort. The airlock started bubbling after only a few hours and has been a constant heartbeat since. We are almost to day 7 in which the recipe called for moving it to secondary, but I believe I may let it ride another 7 and then dry hop it for the last 7 before bottling. This is my idea after all the accumulated info I've mashed together in my head after reading this forum and others. I have a feeling this one may be quite cloudy though, there was a lot of stuff left in it.
I do not rehydrate anymore. People who have used various strains have been all over the map about rehydration vs not. I simply do not. While not all strains are the same, a common one being US-05 does give instructions for both rehydration and pitching dry.
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf
It is probably out of laziness, but I pitch dry.

Update:

We are now on Day 6, I was planning on transferring it to Secondary tomorrow. My airlock however has stopped bubbling and I was wondering if I should be concerned, or if I should transfer tonight or add more yeast? I've never had one stop, they usually bubble violently until the end. I followed this recipe completely too, didn't substitute anything.

As for secondary, I have mentioned that I will dry hop in primary. I believe someone had also posted about that being okay. Again, you'll get varied opinions but I do not dry hop until krausen has dropped nearly all the way. If there is foam on the top dry hopping, as I know it, is fairly pointless. If you let the krausen drop you'll get better use out of your hops.

Airlock activity is basically nothing to me. Krausen tells me my story for the most part. Krausen forms...it is fermenting. Krasuen drops, initial fermentation has ended and now it is time to dry hop, add adjuncts, or just let it be and let the yeast clean up. Even after krausen drops I don't think about bottling. In your case, given the bottling issues, I would try to wait it out. In fact, I would encourage you to wait it out.

Should I take a hydrometer reading tomorrow when I transfer to secondary or just transfer it and take a reading in another week when I dry hop? Also any suggestions for taking the reading would be welcome.

Normal procedure for me would've been to clean a tube and siphon a little out into the hydrometer tube.

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-7days @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-14 days @68-70

This is what the recipe says that I was going off. Thank you for reminding me! I had always got to this point and remember when it was too late, how great it would be to have a baster! I cook and don't have a baster. It makes me angry. I'm going to go buy one on the way home from work :cross:
He is right, sanitize everything. Anything that comes into contact with your beer should be sanitized. Using an old turkey baster is a bad idea but since you don't have one, you're fine. I used a can opener that has been used for obvious kitchen items and while I thought it was clean, it wasn't. I now have an unintended sour beer sitting in my pantry next chilling out until it turns into an unintended delicious sour. :) I recommend a beer/wine thief for sure. Some items aren't necessary but they make life easier. I also recommend you having a vessel tall enough that you can float your hydrometer in. The thief supposedly does this but I for some reason have had nothing but issues with the thief leaking. I still like it, but I use a test tube. Combined I got both for well under $50 on amazon.

I have been just filling the protective tube the hydrometer came in with a sample and testing it in that. As I said earlier, I've had no idea what it was for. It looks like this one should work out well with how much everyone has so graciously helped out.

So I am adjusting the schedule from the recipe based on suggestions I've had here. I really want to try the secondary, if for nothing else, so that I can observe what is going on and hopefully understand better.

Now instead of Primary for 7 days and Secondary for 14, I am going to leave it in Primary until Saturday which makes it 10 days. On the 10th day I will transfer from fermentation bucket to carboy and dry hop (if it looks like krausen is ready from Hello's suggestions).

I am in no way hurrying or impatient, just trying to get everything in order and ready so I know what I am doing. Once I transfer to the carboy I am going to start a second batch and hopefully get a collection / brewing rhythm :)

2hd1rg4.jpg

Just thought I would post a picture I took a few days ago. We play trivia at a local bar once a week and just so happened we won a "trip" downtown to the Labatt Blue Headquarters. Private setting on the ninth floor overlooking downtown, football game on a projector. It was so amazing to get to live the high life for a night. Oh yeah. All the free beer and great food you could eat too! Nothing crazy considering it was Labatt sponsored obviously, but nothing to turn your nose at. I got to enjoy Pyramid Outburst throughout the night as well as try Magic Hat's Wilhelm Scream for the first time. Got a picture with that stupid bear from the commercials too :cross: Oh.. and met a Rodney Dangerfield impersonator that was spot on. What a night..

In my experience, the krausen drops when initial fermentation is over. It still has yet to creep down to FG. Better to wait until it's done to dry hop for the reasons I stated previously.

Just to keep anyone who might be interested, updated:

The three bushels or so that I harvested from my little Nugget hops crop is almost done drying! The house smells amazing, the temperature is dropping... such a nice start to the fall season. I purchased a FoodSaver vacuum sealer thing and will have a bunch of nice little 3oz. sealed packages :)

Aside from the usual work related stress, life is good and can only get better once this beer is racked on Saturday and I'm brewing another. A friend also just gave me about 5 pounds of Munton dry light extract that he decided he won't use. Erm. Ok. Time to start sniffing around for some fun recipes for Saturday. Maybe something spicey as I've got a pantry full of fresh cloves, star of anise and cinnamon. Thoughts welcome as always. You guys and girls are amazing, hope all is well.

Back