Salty taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebrewquest

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer. A brown ale with maple syrup. I Super sanitized and followed every direction. Everything seemed good. I kegged it about 10 days ago, set it at 12 psi and left it. I tried it yesterday, and it tasted good - just a little flat and there was very little head. I tried it today and it tasted salty. SWMBO compared it to soy sauce... What could cause that overnight? FYI - I thought maybe it was overcarbed so I disconnected the line and burped the keg...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

High fermentation temps is known to cause soapy/salty tastes

Read this

I fermented in a temp controlled chamber at 68 degrees +/-. 1degree at any given time. And it tasted fine the day I kegged it, and fine yesterday. Would fermentation be the culprit overnight?

So this is your first batch, yet you have temp controlled fermentation AND a keg system? That's a lot of investment to make without even knowing if you like the hobby :what:

So this is your first batch, yet you have temp controlled fermentation AND a keg system? That's a lot of investment to make without even knowing if you like the hobby :what:

I like beer. I don't forsee not liking making it so why not do it right from the get go?

What kind of maple syrup did you use? Maybe check the label and see if its just maple syrup, or if there was any additives. Since the syrup is almost completely fermentable, anything else in it can be left behind that would normally not be tasted. The beer might also just need a little more time to age.

On a side note, grade A or B? Grade B maple syrup will give a more intense "woodsy" flavor.

What kind of maple syrup did you use? Maybe check the label and see if its just maple syrup, or if there was any additives. Since the syrup is almost completely fermentable, anything else in it can be left behind that would normally not be tasted. The beer might also just need a little more time to age.

On a side note, grade A or B? Grade B maple syrup will give a more intense "woodsy" flavor.

I used a whole bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's...

Kidding. I used 100% pure Grade A Amber Maple Syrup.

I took a sample to my LHBS. Apparently this flavor is "umami". In my case it's attributed to the darker malts, the "extract twang", and the maple syrup. It should subside in a couple more weeks, and my LHBS stated he things I have a good brew on my hands. So I'm going to tweak the recipe for next time around.

Quick update : after letting this beer sit for another 2 weeks, I tried it and was pleasantly surprised that I now had a really good brew on my hands. You can taste the maple syrup, it's got a biscuity, roasted quality, and drinks really well. I'm proud of my 1st brew now! If I've learned anything, it's patience.

Latest posts

Back