Saison (WLP 568) Stuck with acetaldehyde. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeedaman21

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a Saison that I brewed on 24 June that has been fermenting for 5 weeks now, and has gone from 1.063 down to only 1.019ish. Temp has been between 77-90 (let it raise temp on its own) without any big fluctuations. At the 4 week point no acetaldehyde was present, but at week 5 it came in with a vengeance. Gravity only dropped from 1.019 to 1.017 during that period, leading to the question of where did it come from?

As for the attenuation issue I was thinking of adding US-05 to it, but I seek help with the acetaldehyde. I can provide recipe and any details needed, thanks for the help!

-Jake

You may need to just let it sit for another few weeks. If it's actually acetaldehyde, then it should go away eventually. If not, you have another problem. Did you use a good starter and sufficient yeast for the job?

While not as notorious as the Dupont strain, WLP568 is a blend of the saison yeasts and, as a result, has some Dupont strain in it, causing it to stall occasionally. This normally happens closer to that 1.020 range, which you've indicated plainly. Leave it warm and let the yeast do it's magic. They'll wake back up. Rock the carboy gently to rouse the yeast and see if they get back to it.

Is the acetaldehyde vinegary at all?

It smells very pumpkin like and though it has faded slightly, it's still potent. Could adding US-05 to it help clean things up? Temp has been a steady 77ish for the past two weeks.

What prep did you do for fermentation? It'd should not take that long ferm out... Starter? Oxygen? How much? How long?

Had out been on the yeast cake for 5 wks?

Starter with shake the crap out of it and pour back and forth for oxygen. Its been on the yeast the entire time, my worry is about infection because of the acedeltyhde presenting later in fermentation.

Back