Saison with Lubliner Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdr

Reaction score
Brewed a rustic saison with wyeast strain 3711. I used a hop variety called lubliner, for the first time.

My recipe was:
#15 2 row
#1 biscuit

Hops:
Bittering: 60 minutes: 0.5 oz German Nugget
Flavoring: 1 oz lubliner @ 10 minutes, 1 oz @ 5 minutes, and 1 oz @ flameout (3 oz total).

I wrapped the fermenter in blankets for fermentation. Primary to bottle within 3 weeks.

I get a ton of bubblegum flavor, a bit of banana, and cotton candy.. among other flavors of citrusy lemon and hints of grapefruit.

I heard numerous times that lubliner is just a polish version of a saaz hop. However, I've made the same beer with saaz hops and didn't get the same flavors. Previously the saaz hop version didnt give as much bubble gum and cotton candy.

Do lubliner hops give these characteristics? Does anyone know or have experience with these hops? I'm just really curious because its the first time I've used these, and my beer turned out tasting like my childhood memories of a carnival.

I have used saison 3711 about 3 other times. Each time I was rather disappointed, but this time I love the outcome. Whats the deal? I'm narrowing it down to the hops but want some input.

Thanks!

Back