Saison throwdown! Wyeast 3726 VS SafAle BE-134

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singybrue

Reaction score
Trying out this new dry yeast that I got at Homebrewcon against my favorite Saison yeast.
Split a 6g batch into two 2.75g
Aerated both for 60 seconds, pitched at 70f and allowed to free rise to 81f, then held at 80f.
Brewed 7/19, OG was 1.047, on 7/27 3726 was at 1.003, BE-134 was at 1.001.
Hydrometer sample impressions-
3726 fruitiness, more body.
BE-134 more dry and peppery
BE-134 on the left and 3726 on the right in the photos

View attachment 1501136557294.jpg

View attachment 1501136607179.jpg

Last edited:
My LHBS just added this yeast in small 11.5 gr packs yesterday and I am tempted in trying it out. I would be most curious of how fruitty is the yeast. I like the clove/spicy aspect of a saison, but I also like fruitiness, so I am hoping you could provide some cliff notes...

Thank you.

Oh yeah, guess I forgot about this thread!
My final impression was this was just an OK yeast. (BE-134)
It was a little fruity, but had an apple/pear quality that I wasn't the biggest fan of.
I would try it again pushing the ferment temps even higher. I pitched at 70, let it free rise to 80, then held it there. Or maybe cooler would suppress the fruity esters.
It's good to have another dry option, but I wouldn't call it the ultimate saison yeast. It's worth experimenting with though.

Was BE-134 overly clovey or overly fruitty? What was the most proeminent trade/esters of the yeast? ( if you had the chance to notice that )

I am actually contemplating on blending saison yeast with some other yeast, just for fun.

One of my clubmates used the pack of BE 134 that many of us got at the AHA conference in Minneapolis this summer. I found the Saison that he made was nicely peppery and clean. I'm pretty sure that he did control fermentation temp and didn't let it rise too high. I'm still a fan of the yeast.

One of my clubmates used the pack of BE 134 that many of us got at the AHA conference in Minneapolis this summer. I found the Saison that he made was nicely peppery and clean. I'm pretty sure that he did control fermentation temp and didn't let it rise too high. I'm still a fan of the yeast.

I'm about to brew with it, so is there any way you could find out his temp control schedule? :mug:

I've got a go to saison recipe that is a hoppy saison brewed with whatever hops I've got on hand (mosaic, h. blanc, or citra) that I dry hop and bottle with brett. Its been pretty well received by friends, brewers and local comps. I'm not particular about the brett and it's always from bottle dregs of whatever I want to drink from the bottleshop that is fermented with brett (Orval or European craft brews fermented with brett). I initially used a bottle culture of Thiriez yeast but moved to Belle saison out of convenience. My local shop stopped carrying Belle saison so I picked up a pack of the BE 134. The recipe showcases more the hops and brett (with time) but im curious to see if the yeast will make a difference. Brewed today with h. blanc and will report back with results in a month or so.

I've got a go to saison recipe that is a hoppy saison brewed with whatever hops I've got on hand (mosaic, h. blanc, or citra) that I dry hop and bottle with brett. Its been pretty well received by friends, brewers and local comps. I'm not particular about the brett and it's always from bottle dregs of whatever I want to drink from the bottleshop that is fermented with brett (Orval or European craft brews fermented with brett). I initially used a bottle culture of Thiriez yeast but moved to Belle saison out of convenience. My local shop stopped carrying Belle saison so I picked up a pack of the BE 134. The recipe showcases more the hops and brett (with time) but im curious to see if the yeast will make a difference. Brewed today with h. blanc and will report back with results in a month or so.

That is great!

Keep us posted. :mug:

I've got a brew going with this yeast right now and it's an unstoppable monster. Vigorously fermenting within a few hours (direct pitch, 30 seconds O2, 70°F controlled) and was going like made for at least 5 days. It's now 8 days and the airlock liquid level still shows that there's outbound pressure. There's still a thin layer of krausen and beer is still orange-juice cloudy. Took a sample and it' at 1.002 which Beersmith tells me is 96.something attenuation. Bone dry and spicy.

I've got a brew going with this yeast right now and it's an unstoppable monster. Vigorously fermenting within a few hours (direct pitch, 30 seconds O2, 70°F controlled) and was going like made for at least 5 days. It's now 8 days and the airlock liquid level still shows that there's outbound pressure. There's still a thin layer of krausen and beer is still orange-juice cloudy. Took a sample and it' at 1.002 which Beersmith tells me is 96.something attenuation. Bone dry and spicy.

A few days later and it's now 1.000.

I did a split batch between 3711 and some cultured dregs of Saison Dupont. Even though the fermenting temp averaged in the high 80's, the 3711 was kinda boring for a Saison (not bad, just not everything I had hoped for). The Dupont dregs were superb and more of what I've expected and tasted before. Both finished crazy low and can ferment distilled water if you ask them to.

I would be interested in how your two yeasts compare with these. I love me some good Saison. I'm ok with a little peppery note as long as it's not overpowering.

I recently made a multi-grain Saison (barley, wheat, oats, rye, corn, rice) with this yeast and it may be the most bland beer I've made in years. I pitched and fermented at 68F (which I thought was recommended by the manufacturer, but checking again they say 64F-82F). There is a light Belgian phenolic character with low pomme fruit esters but not much else.

My kind of beer!

I recently made a multi-grain Saison (barley, wheat, oats, rye, corn, rice) with this yeast and it may be the most bland beer I've made in years. I pitched and fermented at 68F (which I thought was recommended by the manufacturer, but checking again they say 64F-82F). There is a light Belgian phenolic character with low pomme fruit esters but not much else.

I found that same effect when fermenting the Belle Saison yeast at 68F. Hint of phenolics, but nowhere near what I would expect in a Belgian style. That yeast must be fermented warmer to get the esters and phenolics. I wouldn't be surprised that the BE-134 is the same way.

Back