Yeast bay wallonian farmhouse vs. Wyeast 3726

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWAL

Reaction score
Anyone tried the Yeast Bay Wallonin Farmhouse yeast that is familiar w/ Wyeast 3726 ?

From Yeast Bay's description it sounds to be quite similar if not the same culture.

They advertise a little better attenuation but I think Wyeast numbers are low.When I've used the 3726 my beers were closer to Yeast bays numbers. I got my beers easily down to 1.006 from 1.050 w/ the 3726 ( Apparent Attenuation of about % 88 ) All malt no adjunct.

From Wyeast -

Temp. Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)
Attenuation 74-79%
Flocculation medium

From Yeast Bay -

Temperature: 72-80+ ºF
Attenuation: 81 - 88%
Flocculation: Medium

They both describe the yeast as "balanced with earthy/spicy notes. Slightly tart and dry with a peppery finish".

It would be great to find a year round source for this strain,I love the brewery from which it is (reportedly) isolated from,even if it's not that brewery I love this as my Saison yeast.

IME not similar at all, but I may have just had a bad experience with Wallonian. I've been propagating 3726 for more than a year now. It's a solid saison yeast that throws banana at low temps and musty, spicy grapefruit-like flavors at high temps. It also tends to kick more interesting flavors at high gravities and in the presence of American hops. The wallonian finished super dry and wine-like for me. I didn't get any of the earthy funk and I fermented in the suggested range. It was sharp from the low gravity and very vinous. But other people have had good success with it so take that with a grain of salt.

Has anyone else tried TYB Wallonian strain?

I too am interested in it, but am a little uncertain based on some of the reviews I've read. I want something earthy without having to fuss with the Dupont strain or wait on a Brett strain to do it's thing.

Definitely not the same culture

WY3726
- more of a balance between spice/fruit, bit more spice to me at least. Average saison-level attenuation. mild rustic character

YB Wallonian Farmhouse
- very spicey-ester geared. Very high attenuation. A bit earthy, but not "funky" to me. The yeast character doesnt pop too much, it seems to meld with the malt flavors

Ive got a thread that may help you pick a saison yeast here

Definitely not the same culture

WY3726
- more of a balance between spice/fruit, bit more spice to me at least. Average saison-level attenuation. mild rustic character

YB Wallonian Farmhouse
- very spicey-ester geared. Very high attenuation. A bit earthy, but not "funky" to me. The yeast character doesnt pop too much, it seems to meld with the malt flavors

Ive got a thread that may help you pick a saison yeast here

Have you done Wallonian by itself or the only as part of a blend as you listed out in your thread?

Your description sounds like what I'm going for (rye saison with only Saaz hops).

Have you done Wallonian by itself or the only as part of a blend as you listed out in your thread?

Your description sounds like what I'm going for (rye saison with only Saaz hops).

First time I used it on its own. But I also always taste the fermented starter wort to try and get a feel of the each yeasts character. I get maltier flavors from it (relative to other saisons) in both the actual finished beer and the starter wort

Just now tasting my first Wallonian Farmhouse saison...
  • The yeast definitely lends some earthy/spicy notes and some phenols that remind me of smoke but not quite exactly. Also some herbal notes that kind of remind me of bitters but much milder.
  • Definitely a dry finish that some might say lends itself to slightly tart, mine did not finish overly dry, 1.008.
  • I agree with the previous comments that it accentuates the malt. Part of that may be that it has some of the full/slick mouthfeel that I also get from 3711.

Nice yeast overall, for my tastes I'm thinking I'd like it in a slightly stronger, maltier, Bier de Garde.

So what brewery is this strain allegedly from?

Back