Saison Recipe Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
I'm looking or a simple Saison to brew up for this summer anybody got some interesting recommendations?

70% pils
20% Munich
10% wheat

Keep it simple and let the yeast work.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

I really like oats in mine and it's traditional to farmhouse styles.

76% floor malted pils
14% Vienna
10% flaked oats
Hallertau@60
Styrian Goldings@5

Do rye and wheat work well together in a saison? Or am I asking for a stuck sparge?

IMO yes, they work very well together. Made a Rye Saison last fall that was very good.

50% Wheat malt
30% Rye malt
10% Flaked wheat
5% C20
5% sugar

I've also done:
35% Wheat malt
35% Rye Malt
10% Flaked wheat
10% Flaked rye
5% C40
5% sugar

Use till 20% sugar.
Belle Saison (lallemand) yeast is a killer.
Fermentation close to 100%.

Did it leave you with the typical peppery slightly estery saison profile? I might contemplate doing one with this yeast.

Yes sir. Definitely saison character in there. A bit of alcohol taste/warmth as well. The citrus is slightly overpowering the ginger, which I'll have to remedy with a secondary addition of fresh grated ginger. The beer is for an Iron Brewer competition where ginger was the secret ingredient. I have some time to fix this though.

Yes sir. Definitely saison character in there. A bit of alcohol taste/warmth as well. The citrus is slightly overpowering the ginger, which I'll have to remedy with a secondary addition of fresh grated ginger. The beer is for an Iron Brewer competition where ginger was the secret ingredient. I have some time to fix this though.

About what temp did you ferment at? Would you recommend it over something from White labs? I rarely use liquid yeast as my starter making equipment is pretty crap but for belgian styles I've always felt it necessary to get a good liquid strain. Maybe I'll give "Belle saisos" a try if I can be convinced :)

About what temp did you ferment at? Would you recommend it over something from White labs? I rarely use liquid yeast as my starter making equipment is pretty crap but for belgian styles I've always felt it necessary to get a good liquid strain. Maybe I'll give "Belle saisos" a try if I can be convinced :)

My favorite saison yeast is Wyeast 3711, but Belle Saison is a very close 2nd. I prefer to start around 70F and let it rise up into the upper 70's / low 80's. I have friends and owners of a local small craft bar (tasting room) who routinely ferment in the upper 80's and into the 90's. IMO, you can't ferment a saison too warm.

So far i'm thinking of doing

Og: 1.058ish

80% Pilsner
10% Wheat Malt
5% Cane Sugar
5% Aromatic

25ish ibus with Magnum at 90mins

1oz Coriander 5mins
Zest 3 lemons Flamout

Sound good?

I've heard good things about the yeast bay blends. THis one looks like fun!
http://www.theyeastbay.com/wild-yeast-and-bacteria-products/saison-brettanomyces-blend

I would fret less over grain bill and more on yeast/ferm temps.
If I was you, I'd start low 70's, then ramp it up to 85 after 3-5 days to finish off. Less off flavors that way.

I'm worried about ambient temps in my house. Its about 65 normally and that might not give me those saison pepper phenols.

Also I'm not too hyped to do something with Brett as I've heard horror stories of it lingering in plastic materials for years and infecting beers post to it. Is this the same with Lacto? Because I quite like the little tartness Lacto gives in a saison. I would consider it....

I'm worried about ambient temps in my house. Its about 65 normally and that might not give me those saison pepper phenols.

Also I'm not too hyped to do something with Brett as I've heard horror stories of it lingering in plastic materials for years and infecting beers post to it. Is this the same with Lacto? Because I quite like the little tartness Lacto gives in a saison. I would consider it....

I can understand. Plastic could be tricky. Perhaps then stick with a yeast without it - or simply dedicate one bucket/carboy/bb to 'wilder' brews...? Its a fun, enticing path! Watch out, you might get hooked! :)

Do rye and wheat work well together in a saison? Or am I asking for a stuck sparge?

Another vote for hell yes. I always throw rye and wheat in my saisons... i also almost always add oats as well. Gotta have that cloudy goodness.

If you can get your hands on Bobek hops,they are very cutrus/lemon/perfume and work very well indeed with Belle Saison

Not really, I just don't like that 85% of the craft beer in stores right now seem to be IPAs or something with rye gratuitously thrown into it.

Mental note... never move to Nevada.

EDIT: Although I love IPAs and Rye beer. But I also love Belgians, Saisons, anything barrel aged, pale ales, pilsners, stouts..... ok I love beer!

It's not just here, it's a lot of places. At least there's a few stores here that don't buy into the fads :)
Thats great! At least you can get a good selection that way. I personally feel that the whole IPA trend is more a "movement". It's been going this way for what... 10 years? I don't see the IPA boom ending anytime soon. It's more a craft evolution for better or worse... just look at the hop breeders for proof.

That said i'm lucky to be on the east coast where it's not "as" IPA dominant. If anything id say there are more pale ales, porters, stouts and sours in craft stores here. Now sours do seem to be in a crazy boom lately.

Thats great! At least you can get a good selection that way. I personally feel that the whole IPA trend is more a "movement". It's been going this way for what... 10 years? I don't see the IPA boom ending anytime soon. It's more a craft evolution for better or worse... just look at the hop breeders for proof.

That said i'm lucky to be on the east coast where it's not "as" IPA dominant. If anything id say there are more pale ales, porters, stouts and sours in craft stores here. Now sours do seem to be in a crazy boom lately.

Yeah IPAs have been growing in popularity for a while but it seems the last couple years it's gone crazy. I like a good IPA or IIPA but I don't go crazy for the highest ibu beer every day like some people

Yeah IPAs have been growing in popularity for a while but it seems the last couple years it's gone crazy. I like a good IPA or IIPA but I don't go crazy for the highest ibu beer every day like some people

It's actually heading the other way now. Have you seen all the session IPAs that everyone is coming out with? I don't see as many craft breweries chasing the crazy high IBUs anymore. Don't get me wrong, there are and will always be Imperial IPAs, IIPAs, etc... but I honestly feel like most craft breweries have gone back to average strength/balanced and session IPAs.

Back