Saison primary temperature fluctuations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenbrews

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a saison in the primary for a week now and still bubbling. The first few days it was in a cool room at about 65-70 degrees. Yesterday I moved it to the warmest room in the house which has a pellet stove, so the temperature fluctuates from about 67-80 degrees several times a day.

I'm concerned about the heat fluctuation, I thought about moving the beer back to the cool room and heat it with a blanket and heating pad for more consistent heat.

Or is it okay in the 67-80 degree room?

-Darren

Should be fine, better to be consistent but saison yeast likes hotter temps. It takes time to change the temp on 5 gallons so if anything it will fluctuate but not as much as ambient will. I have had a few brews with fluctuations and no ill effects.

What yeast did you use?

I have not used that yeast but I have seen people ferment saisons into the high 80's even low 90's. It will increase flavors and Esters which are usually desirable in saisons.

Back