Saison Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igotworts

Reaction score
I used Wyeast Belgian Saison- no Starter OG was 1.064. Aerated the $h!T out of it with a wine de-gasser. Pitched at 73F, it took off and went nuts for 36hrs. Put on the brew belt at 36hrs this raised the temp from 77F to 84F over the next 24hrs. It is now steady at 84F but its only burping (blow-off) every 5 seconds. There is 1lb of candy sugar in there... I know this yeast is notorious for getting stuck and or not finishing. I expected a much longer fermentation?
Anything look suspicious to you guys?
I'm I over analyzing? (yes-says wife)
Yeast energizer?
Rouse yeast?
Add a second yeast?
Wait, take reading after 2weeks?
Thanks for any input :mug:

Sorry, I may have to side with your wife on this one. Some of the Saison yeasts work like mad to start, then crap right out and take their sweet time finishing the job.

I see no reason to not wait a couple of weeks and take a reading. You made food for the yeast, gave them a nice place to stay and they know what to do from there. Worst case, you may have to rouse the yeast from the bottom, or just RDWHAHB and let it ride.

So you underpitched a yeast that's notorious for stuck fermentation?

And you haven't taken a gravity reading to confirm your suspicions?

My guess is it's sitting at 1.030 and will be down to FG in about 6-8 weeks. That was my experience and I had used a starter. Of course when it was finally done it was at 1.003.

-chuck

Take a gravity reading man; don't be afraid to get in there and test it if you're doing it in a sanitary manner. It's the only way to really learn your yeast!

Best for beginners to use 3711. Its a monster and reliable. I wouldn't recommend underpitching but with that yeast I bet it would just add more esthers (flavors).

thanks guys- yes 3711 next time! I'll take a reading tonight and let you know.
I hate when the wifes right.

Best for beginners to use 3711. Its a monster and reliable. I wouldn't recommend underpitching but with that yeast I bet it would just add more esthers (flavors).

Just used that (3711) for the first time. Not impressed with the sample I took after 3 days; actually concerned about the final beer. It did go from 1.056 to 1.008 in that time. It's now at 2 weeks, will be racking and tasting in a week. Plan to dry hop with goldings at that time and harvest yeast. I'm hoping it has improved.

....... Yes; I know 3 days is not a way to judge a yeast character, but it tasted as though it had an infection. I often taste my beers at this time and usually they are good. My sanitation was as good as ever, and I've not had an infection for over 100 beers; I suspect that is not the problem.

To the OP. I used WLP550 recently. It went from 1.055 to 1.010 in 28 hours. Some of those Belgian yeasts can be monsters.

I just used 3711 for a Saison and it took it from 1.067 to 1.005 very quickly. That stuff too off like a rocket and churned away for a long time.

Been in the fermenter for 3 weeks. I tasted a sample the other day and it was great. May bottle it this weekend.

It was right at 1.040- not really surprised. When would you rouse and/or pitch another yeast- I'm thinking 1056? In Jamils book he also suggests dry champagne yeast to finish off the fermentation, I'm on the fence about this...

Also debating dry hoping with a little EKG and or Saaz- when would u add? 2 weeks B4 bottling?

Thanks again for your input.

It's my experience that the yeast will finish... Eventually. I personally wouldn't add anything for at least two weeks. Check your gravity again then and see if it's down around 1.030.

-chuck

I've read that with Saisons in particular it's best to add any extra candi sugar/corn sugar into the primary after the krausen is over. Does that really make a difference (especially considering if you're using 3711)?

It's my experience that the yeast will finish... Eventually. I personally wouldn't add anything for at least two weeks. Check your gravity again then and see if it's down around 1.030.

-chuck

Just to follow up with this fermentation. After the initial vigorous 48hrs. The blow off burps slowed to 1/15sec from Day2 to Day14. From day 14-17 there was increased activity= 1 burp per 7seconds. As of last night it was 1per/ 3.5seconds. I'm not joint to bother taking a reading while its doing its job. The brew belt has been on the whole time. It'll be interesting to see how low it gets- patience pays with this yeast.
:mug:

Back