Fermentation Interrupted by Birth of Baby!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushwood Brewing

Cast your bread upon the waters
Reaction score
I had a rye saison fermenting with Mangrove Jack's M29 french saison strain. The recommended fermentation temperature for the yeast is 79F-90F. I had it in a fermentation chamber of sorts (that is, a water bath kept warm by sous vide) starting at 80F and ramping up to 86.5F over the next few days. Fermentation went fast and completed within a 3-4 days. I let it rest for one week and was about to bottle, but then my wife went into labor and off we went to the hospital! I had to turn off the sous vide for safety, and the fermenter was left at basement temperature (~68F) for the next 6 days.

I have an S-style airlock, and I know I got air intake through the airlock during the temperature drop, and the fermenter no longer has positive pressure so the yeast are not active. My question is, do you think I can rouse the yeast well enough to bottle condition? Or do I need to pitch new yeast while bottling? My homebrewing budget is tight, so I'd rather not buy extra yeast if not necessary, but of course a ruined batch is no good either.

I'd appreciate your recommendations.

(And both mommy and baby are doing well!)

Congratulations, with both your newborn, and your Saison!

I know I got air intake through the airlock during the temperature drop, and the fermenter no longer has positive pressure
For that reason, I would try to bottle, ASAP, possibly within a week, or 2, but certainly within a month.
Preventing Oxidation is your main object now, beerwise. There will still be plenty of yeast left in suspension to bottle condition/carbonate, no need to rouse or add fresh yeast at that point.

If it so happens you can't get to bottling until 3 months from now, you may need to add fresh yeast to your bottling bucket. Or instead, you could add 2-3 teaspoons of the original yeast cake. You can also save money by saving (part of) the yeast cake. About 1/5 - 1/3 is needed for another similar size/gravity fermentation. As in all things yeast, (re)using it sooner is better than later. Yeast health goes down faster when it has nothing to do while left at room temps, and 3 months is starting to push it.

But most important is keeping your wife and baby safe, healthy, and happy.

Thanks all. I'll try bottling this week, and just hope the oxygen ingress doesn't come out as too noticable in the end product.

Congratulations!

To me it sounds like ideal circumstances for bottling. If you are leery of the yeast the add a little bit of fresh or dry yeast at bottling time.

Also seems like you now should have some great ideas for what to name it on your bottle label.

Back