Saison Dupont dregs fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanDeuce

Reaction score
I successfully harvested dregs from some Saison Dupont bottles and am fermenting a 3gal batch of saison right now. It has been going strong for the last four days around 65*.

Does this one really need the high temps like the wyeast variant says to do? Yeast seem pretty happy right now and am hoping it doesn't stall out.

What kind of a flavor profile can I expect at this low temp? I'm trying to avoid any of the banana, estery mess some saisons throw off.

You can start cool with that yeast, but you need to get the temp up for it to finish.

Start ramping it up now. Do 't be shy about getting it up to the high 80's or even 90.

I have used the dregs,too.
I started in the low 20sC and just let it do it's thing. It hit 32c and I had NO problems with stalling OR off flavours

What's in the dregs is not the same thing that you get from the labs, thank goodness. The 565/3724 are both single-strains; I've read that the bottle is multi-strain. When I've used the bottle dregs I've let it ferment at close to 100F ambient with no harshness or stalling and gotten great attenuation, albeit not 3711 levels.

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can do since it's really cold here this week and I don't have a heating belt to keep it warm. Can move upstairs to get it into at least the mid 70s.

I was worried about it throwing fusels and getting bandaid off flavors/smells.

Well, if you like Saison Dupont I've read that they do primary around 90F. So no worries! :mug:

I was worried about it throwing fusels and getting bandaid off flavors/smells.

With most yeasts your concerns are valid, but that is the only yeast that you do not have to worry about getting it hot. It will not create fusels or off flavors, even at 90 or above.

What's in the dregs is not the same thing that you get from the labs, thank goodness. The 565/3724 are both single-strains; I've read that the bottle is multi-strain. When I've used the bottle dregs I've let it ferment at close to 100F ambient with no harshness or stalling and gotten great attenuation, albeit not 3711 levels.

I have a 1.062 OG saison with dregs built up right now, it's day 11 and its 1.009, sitting at 82. 3 days ago it was 1.009 as well, and I'm worried it is done. I really wanted it at least 1.005, maybe lower. What was your FG with the dregs?

Can you find a way to get the temp closer to or around 90? I'd do that if you can and give it another week or so. I've gotten down to 1.002, but I also mashed pretty low if memory serves me correctly.

Can you find a way to get the temp closer to or around 90? I'd do that if you can and give it another week or so. I've gotten down to 1.002, but I also mashed pretty low if memory serves me correctly.

Unfortunately my mash temp was above target, first at 158 but it evened out after a few minutes to 155. I added some cold water and got it to 153, hoping enzymes weren't denatured be then...

I will try my best to heat it up a bit...

Just finished mine with harvested Dupont yeast. Ramped up to 78-80 F via swamp cooler and aquairum heater and it finished at 1.002

ETA: Mashed at 148-150 F, so not super low.

Yeah, I typically mash around 148 for my saisons. With that mash temp that may be as low as you go. Still fairly low, I'm sure it will be tasty :)

Do you think that rousing it and heating it up again after allowing it to fall to room temp might help it kick back up and finish a few more gravity points?

Just cultured out of the bottle once again. For the first four days it did nothing, and I was a little worried. Then I moved it outside where temps were in the mid 80's for a couple of days, and that definitely did the trick! Got going very shortly after that, and I just pitched that start into a fairly low OG, 4 gallon saison recipe.

Currently fermenting a 50/50 pale and wheat with DuPont dregs, added sugar and DME to get it to 1.055 that I left in the closet (~75ish), temped up to 80s, it looks like it's done at 1.004 after a week.

Side note: this is a good yeast to top-crop with.

Currently fermenting a 50/50 pale and wheat with DuPont dregs, added sugar and DME to get it to 1.055 that I left in the closet (~75ish), temped up to 80s, it looks like it's done at 1.004 after a week.

Side note: this is a good yeast to top-crop with.

I found completely the opposite regarding top cropping. I'm not sure why! I started mine at 75F and got it to 80 and it fermented down to 1.004 but barely had a krausen at all for the entire ferment. It was a low ABV brew at only 5.5% and the flavour still seems good.

This is something I seem to experience with all saison yeasts whereas I often get a yeast explosion with some of the other Belgian ones.

What affects the forming of Krausen?

I have been using the wlp 568 Belgian saison huge krausen...I am wondering if that's the high Belgian taking control

Wanted to report back on this guy. Really wish I had let more bottles age. This turned out amazing after 10 months. I drank most of them within the first 4-5 months but recently found a couple more bottles. Just like the commercial version.

Latest posts

Back