Saison du Rage - w/rose petals and heather tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and lately they're both driving me to the brink. I'm channelling my fury into brewing a nice fruity, floral saison that will instill calm...

The recipe is my standard:

10 lb Pilsner malt
1 lb Vienna
1 lb flaked wheat
2 oz Styrian Goldings @ 60 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin @ 5 min
WLP 565

Now, I usually go the funky/sour route with my saisons, but for this recipe I bought .5 oz each of heather tips and dried rose buds/petals. I think they'll make a nice addition, but I'm in unfamiliar waters here, and I'm just not sure how much/when to add them (during the boil, at flameout, as a tincture, as a dry-hop type addition, etc).

Anyone feel like their method of adding herbs/flowers is the best? Just looking for any good suggestions.

I made a tea with each one of these. 1 gram of each, steeped in hot water. The heather tips were very subtle. Very little aroma and a very light flavor...tasted a little like jasmine. The rose petals/buds, on the other hand, were crazy strong. Very overpowering. Gave the tea an incredibly flowery taste. If I go forward with these, I definitely won't be adding the rose petals on the hot side. Maybe as a dry-hop type addition.

Back