SafeBrew S-33 hot pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattt

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a properly bad tasting batch.
It was simple all grain recipe i did in the past with good results.
But this time I run out of time when chilling worth.
So I had to pitch a 11g pack of rehydrated SafeBrew S-33 into aroun 115F hot worth.
Fermentation seems to be OK (alltho I was not around to see when it kicked in and when it finished) alltho finished a bit high (OG was 1056 , FG 1014 after 3 weeks in primary)
I tasted it after 2 weeks in primary (already at 1014 at that time) and it tasted horribly. Completely metal taste. Undrinkable.
I let it sit for another week and when tasting, it was better. More taste of plastic, only at the end metal taste.
So I said I'll try bottling it in case it will sort itself out... But now, 2 weeks in bottles it still tastes realy bad, same as it was just before bottling.
Anyone had any similar experiences ?
Should I wait a bit more or just dump the beer ?

Matt

Do you need the bottles now?
If not then let it sit for a month. Doubt it will do much good but what is there to lose by waiting?

Well, I should be ok bottlewise for a while.
So yea, will leave beer there and see what happens in few weeks...
Not expecting miracles tho ;)
Thnx

dude.. why did you pitch into 115 degree wort? :eek: just leave it overnight next time and areate and pitch then if you run out of time.

heh, i'm brewing over weekends in my summer house 60 miles from my home....
and i had to go, sort of emergency in the middle of chilling .... and i was not back until week later....
was surprised that fermentation was done pretty much OK until i had a taste...
I thought two things can happen : no fermentation at all (repitch a week later in that case) , or slow start but good fermentation later on
Never expected such strong weird undrinkable off flavours...
I'm off to summerhouse again tommorow and will have another tasting ;)

Good luck having that beer turn around: I'd dump it if I were in your shoes, but if you believe in miracles and have the bottle count, why not hang onto it :D

well, it did go from : aaaaauuuuurrrggghhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhh wtfisthat ?
to : iiiiick wtfisthat ?
in a week...
it might just end up : wtfisthat?
in few more weeks.
If that happens it will be drank by my fatherinlaw (after 3 beers he doesnt taste anything anymore ;) ) :D

i made a foul brew with s-33 a few months back. And after about 4 months in the bottle in cold storage you can just about knock it back. As Peter Cellis said definately "one for the neighbours".

hot fermentation: beer produced from a sweaty nasty do-anything-to-anything yeast orgy

Latest posts

Back