Safe Consumption Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgrim001

Reaction score
I posted a thread already about cultivating wild yeast:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wild-yeast-experiment-258190/

I made two starters and pitched them into two separate 1/2 gallons of step-up wort. The SG of each of them has dropped to around 1.015 (~4% alcohol) now a week after pitching starters. I want to taste them but am a little worried about the safety of this. Both starters look clear with no real sign of spoilage (I can post pictures if anyone wants to see). They do smell a little funky though. What is the HBF opinion?

Nothing that can make you sick can grow in beer.

You can make plenty of things that taste terrible, but nothing that can cause you harm.

Btw, get ready to hear from Revvy.

I want to continue, and eventually brew a 5 gallon batch, with the wild yeast but not if it is awful. This is why I want to taste it. I really want to hear what other people think about this...

I'll try it. I don't know how good a wild yeast can be but it won't hurt you. Hell, most forms of spoiled food won't really hurt you (botulism being a big exception). They just smell nasty enough to invoke the gag reflex.

Back