Safale S-04 & Nottingham ale yeast. What one should I try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErickJ

Reaction score
Well, I've been reading a bunch since I started fermenting. I purchased red star champagne yeast for a apple cider (woodchuck clone) from what I understand, it'll taste like white wine & need to be back sweetened with apple juice to regain it's apple taste.

So, I read a post by CvilleKevin, he state that he like Safale S-04 and Nottingham ale yeast. In his post he/she said they're his/her favorite and that they both leave fantastic apple flavor.

Now, I'm asking you HBT to help me pick my next yeast to try out, I want it around 8 percent alcohol, with apple juice from concentrate, I'll be kegging. So, will someone please guide me to a reliable source to show me how low each yeast will ferment down to. (For example... Say I used Nottingham and I had a SG of 1.065 and it ferments down to 1.004, I'd be at 7.9% abv.)

I used S04 once, and it all dropped out before it was finished. The cider was still way too sweet, and it didn't carb -- which made it even sweeter from the priming sugar. Not sure what the problem was, perhaps I left out the yeast nutrient and didn't aerate enough. (maybe I should have rousted it instead of racking to another carboy) Next time I'll try T58 or S33, unless I have some Nottingham slurry in the fridge.

My best cider was made with 71B yeast. It was a little too dry, but nothing like when made with Premier Cuvee or EC-1118 (I think those are both chmpagne yeasts)

S-04 is my go-to yeast for cider, I think it leaves better flavors than Notty. But both are capable of taking 1.050 juice to below 1.000. Sometimes S-04 stops before that, sometimes it doesn't.

I've used Nottingham for cider recently, it completely fermented to 0.98, for an extremely dry cider.. I've drank a few but even at 3 months it's still a little too hot for me. It also almost completely flocculated out on its own for a crystal clear cider.

S-04 is my go-to yeast for cider, I think it leaves better flavors than Notty. But both are capable of taking 1.050 juice to below 1.000. Sometimes S-04 stops before that, sometimes it doesn't.

Usually, S04 stops for me around 1.004 with cider.

Has anyone tried Red Star Cote des Blancs?

I use that one often, since I make a lot of white wine. It will take cider to .990 often, bone dry.

S04 OG 1.060 to 1.065 drops to 1.004 to 1.006 FG nearly every time. Nutrient addition up front only and yeast started 24 hours ahead of pitching on stir plate. Drops out well and easy to rack off of.

No experience with Nottingham Sorry.

do you have temperature control? its been my experience that s-04 will stay cleaner at higher temps.

I agree except both have already stopped 1.000-1.004 for me with nutrients added.

Notty had a distinct flavor. Some people like it, some do not. I ferment 55-65 deg. F.

do you have temperature control? its been my experience that s-04 will stay cleaner at higher temps.

Not really temperature controlled per say, and nothing mechanical i am fortunate that my basement brew area runs a constant 62 - 64 Deg F summer or winter.

No experience higher - Sorry can't comment on that.

S04 does impart some nice flavors and has been my go-to for either frozen concentrate and or purchased Indian Summer?? apple juice for some time.

Have not used it for fresh pressed apple juice from and orchard.

I agree except both have already stopped 1.000-1.004 for me with nutrients added.

Notty had a distinct flavor. Some people like it, some do not. I ferment 55-65 deg. F.

I started making ciders with Nottingham. It makes a nice compact lees and clears perfectly (with pectic enzyme). But I learned the hard way that temperature matters. A summer cider with Notty at 74°F went from 1.050 to 0.996 in a week and it tasted awful. I think I discovered what fusels are. I never got to try it at colder temps, so my experience is less than conclusive.

S-04 makes a lighter, fluffy lees that's easily disturbed. You have to be careful when racking it not to touch the lees with the siphon. But at 65° it makes an awesome cider. Mine finish between 1.000 and 1.002.

I'm doing a split batch right now; half with US-04 and half with Notty. I'll let you know how they compare.

I'm using fresh pasteurized cider from my local orchard. OG of 1.050

I used a champagne yeast and it sat at about 20c-22c in the bedroom. It fermented out to about 0.980 from an OG of 1.050 and it is bone dry, a bit sour and super high in alcohol.

This was my first go and I think I am going to try a sweet mead yeast and a White Labs English Cider Yeast next time. I prefer a touch of softness when drinking and this was too dry for me. I also used a yeast nutrient.

I'm doing a split batch right now; half with US-04 and half with Notty. I'll let you know how they compare.

I'm using fresh pasteurized cider from my local orchard. OG of 1.050

Okay, I'm looking forward to it! Please be sure to update this thread when you post your thread with the results.

Okay, I'm looking forward to it! Please be sure to update this thread when you post your thread with the results.

Not finished yet, but here's a quick update.

It's been a bit over 3wks since I pitched.
The US-04 & Notty seem to have finished at 1.004 & 1.000 respectively. I've transferred them to secondaries (new buckets) for now while I make a bottling bucket.

I'm going to modify a spare 2gal bucket to have a spigot really low to reduce dead space - don't want to lose any more than I have to with these tiny batches!

I tried a small sample of each and the Notty seemed to be more tart/sour. Both tasted really nice.

I plan to bottle next week, and I'll post back with more detailed tasting notes when I get to try the finished product.

Not finished yet, but here's a quick update.

It's been a bit over 3wks since I pitched.
The US-04 & Notty seem to have finished at 1.004 & 1.000 respectively. I've transferred them to secondaries (new buckets) for now while I make a bottling bucket.

I'm going to modify a spare 2gal bucket to have a spigot really low to reduce dead space - don't want to lose any more than I have to with these tiny batches!

I tried a small sample of each and the Notty seemed to be more tart/sour. Both tasted really nice.

I plan to bottle next week, and I'll post back with more detailed tasting notes when I get to try the finished product.
Curious on the comparison between Nottingham & S-04!

I found them nearly identical even f.g.
With the exception of a slight flavor difference

Notty adds a peach flavor. S-04 adds sulfur.

Cote des Blancs all the way, baby.
Yet to try that! Curious what your preferred cider flavor/style profile is...and the typical routine to achieve it w/Cote des Blancs.

Cheers!

My preferred "style" is "normal". No sugars, spices, or other crap added.

My standard cider procedure:

Pasteurize juice at 160 F for 15 minutes, cool, pitch Cote des Blancs, let it ferment for about a week, rack to secondary, then begin monitoring specific gravity every few days. Aim for 1.010-1.015 then take additional action -- when gravity gets to that point, add gelatin to knock out most of the yeast, then a couple days later, rack again and add sorbate to hurt the remaining yeast. Keep the cider cold in refrigeration for another month or three, trying to prevent it from refermenting. If fermentation continues, add more gelatin and rack again. Once the cider stabilizes fully, you can bottle or keg it. Then enjoy.

This results in a naturally sweet cider that needs no backsweetening, but requires patience. If it ferments too dry, just let it go all the way down to 0.992-0.994, then backsweeten with xylitol, prime if desired, and package.

Still waiting to rack my primary onto secondary this Sunday of Brewer's Best Premium Cider Yeast (see my thread) and am curious how it stands against Nottingham. But 5 days in and already have a clear liquid after an aggressive ferment for the first 3 days.

Latest posts

Back