Saaz in an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So I got some hops I want to use up and thought I would put a recipe together. They all seemed to fit into an IPA. I'm just not real sure about using Saaz with these others, I think it will add a nice spicey note to the beer. I haven't used Honey malt before either, but I think I've read that it is pretty strong. Here's the recipe, please comment & make suggestions.

Target OG 1.060
IBU's 60

9 2/3lbs Two Row
1/4lb Honey Malt
1/2lb Wheat

1/2oz Magnum(13.5%) @ 60
1/2oz Magnum @ 30
1/2oz Saaz(3.5%) @ 15
1/3oz Columbus(14.4%) @ 10
1/2oz Saaz @ 5
1/2oz Centennial(10.1%) @ FO
Dry Hop with about 2/3oz Cascade5-7 days

Yeast will be US05

I'll probably brew this in about 6 weeks, so I have some time to mess with the recipe if need be.

Thanks for looking:mug:

I have never used saaz in an IPA, but I do like the character they give in a tripel. I have a feeling they might get lost behind the columbus and the centennial though. I wouldnt worry about them adding too much. Never used honey malt in an IPA either, but it might give it a nice sweetness to balance the bitter if thats what you are after.

I, too, think the Saaz would be lost, which would be a shame for a great hop. I don't think it will give you much, if anything. Why the wheat, if I may ask? If you're looking for head retention, why not throw some carapils in there? The wheat will give you a cloudy IPA.

I definitely don't want to waste them, Saaz is a great hop and I agree it would be a shame. Probably would work better in an English Style IPA. I use Saaz for my Kolsch so I will just hang onto them for that.

Maybe instead of Dry Hopping with the Cascade, I will drop the Saaz, and put all the Cascade in at 5 Minutes. I will be picking up more Centennial so I could Dry Hop with that instead.

I am going for head retention with the Wheat, I've used Carapils in some other recipes and I honestly can't tell the difference. Maybe I'll try Flaked Barley instead, i was looking at one of edworts recipes today where he used it and thought it was great for head retention.

I was surprised to find that my favorite beer -- a truly outstanding beer in all respects -- Smuttynose IPA, uses low-alpha, noble-derived Santiams. They add a complexity and spiciness. They also use Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial.

As to the Saaz, only one way to find out.

I just finished an IPA with Saaz, it's definitely a spicy tasty beer. In some ways, the American Character is lost in the hop schedule I used...

Volume 4.5 Gallons: 9lbs 2-Row, 1.5lbs Munich, 1lb C15, 4oz C40.

1oz Magnum FWH
1oz US Saaz @ 10 minutes
1oz Cascade @ 5 minutes
.6oz US Saaz & Cascade @ 0 minutes

I just finished an IPA with Saaz, it's definitely a spicy tasty beer. In some ways, the American Character is lost in the hop schedule I used...

Volume 4.5 Gallons: 9lbs 2-Row, 1.5lbs Munich, 1lb C15, 4oz C40.

1oz Magnum FWH
1oz US Saaz @ 10 minutes
1oz Cascade @ 5 minutes
.6oz US Saaz & Cascade @ 0 minutes

how do the saaz and cascade work together?

i've got a rye pa recipe im working on using columbus for bittering and dry hop, centennial for flavor and aroma and dry hop and 1oz saaz at 20min and 0min

Latest posts

Back