S.Y.G.G. Carmel Apple Bochet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinCider

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried this twist on Burnt Mead? I just racked this out of primary sunday and OMG! This is slap your grandma good! @ 1.04 right now...I'm not too sure when i should stop fermentation. The other bochets i have done lost a lot of flavor as it dipped below 1.02. They are still bulk ageing and I dont know if i should backsweeten with regular honey or cook some more burnt? Will reg honey make the stuff lose its carmel notes?

Anyways this stuff rocks give it try. I will the post recipe if anyone would like but its not rocket science.

:mug::mug:
:rockin::fro:

I did one a while back, but I didn't cook the honey that long. It tasted best at around 1.030 (really sweet) but that was amazing at that point. Mine ended up fermenting dry and I never sweetened it back, which I definitely will next time.

I don't think you need to worry about losing those burnt notes by back sweetening with regular honey. It doesn't take that much and those notes coming from a full bochet are pretty powerful.

What is the apple part, if it goes dry why not backsweeted with some conc apple juice to boost the apple flavor? I would see nothing wrong with backsweetening with raw honey either. WVMJ

Has anyone else tried this twist on Burnt Mead? I just racked this out of primary sunday and OMG! This is slap your grandma good! @ 1.04 right now...I'm not too sure when i should stop fermentation. The other bochets i have done lost a lot of flavor as it dipped below 1.02. They are still bulk ageing and I dont know if i should backsweeten with regular honey or cook some more burnt? Will reg honey make the stuff lose its carmel notes?

Anyways this stuff rocks give it try. I will the post recipe if anyone would like but its not rocket science.

:mug::mug:
:rockin::fro:

Back