S-23 at different temperatures.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotes

Reaction score
So I am going to be making a lager tonight using a Morgans Blue Mountain Kit but I would like to substitute the Morgans Lager East yeast out for S-23 yeast because the Morgan's yeast is actual an ale yeast. The problem is that my basement is sitting at around 15-17 Celcius and my cold shed sits at between 5-8 degrees celcius. I have been told that S-23 will create fruity esters at high temperatures and I am worried that 5 degrees will be too cold for the yeast. Does anyone have experience with this yeast at these ranges? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I'd put it in the shed. The colder temp isn't going to hurt it. It might take a couple of extra days to ferment out, but the yeast will be perfectly fine at those temps. Although, if this is your first lager, I would suggest reading up on how to correctly ferment a lager. There is a little more to it than just pitching yeast at 5C and letting it ferment for a couple of weeks.

Back