S-04 temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanThomas

Reaction score
Hey all,

I went ahead and brewed about 7 gallons of the KingBrianI's Common Room ESB this Sunday. As the temperatures listed on the Fermentis website were up to 75, I figured in my basement in ambient conditions would be good. After some active fermentation began yesterday morning, I noticed the temp had risen to 74/75 on the liquid crystal thermometer. Cool, I thought.

Then I decided to read a little more through the recipe's thread only to find that he fermented around 65-68. Reading another thread, many suggested that the high 60's to low 70's produce odd flavors with this strain. So I panicked and had my girlfriend (I'm at work) add some cool water to the tub that I, luckily now, had placed the fermenter in. Now the temp is reading 70.

I guess my question is, should I be that worried? Has anyone had good results with 70-75 degree fermentation with this strain? Am I over thinking?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Not much you can do about it now. You probably won't have the cleanest ferment, but it probably won't be rocket fuel either. I think I did S-04 once ~70 and it was ok...not great, but still drinkable.

Keep in mind the inner column of fermenting beer can often times be 5-10 degrees above both ambient and the walls of the fermentation vessel. I think you probably caught it in time. Your beer will probably turn out just fine, maybe not perfect, it might be a little strong with esters and phenols, but you probably avoided fussels which would be the rocket fuel taste. Just continue to taste it after fermentation. It might need a little more time than normal to mellow out. I think you will end up with drinkable beer.

The old call to the wife/girlfriend to avoided brewing disasters is always fun.

Thanks guys. I'm going to throw more ice in when I get home for sure. I'll freeze a couple of 2 liters and pray that they can last through an 8 hour work way. Summer from hell (pun intended) here in Michigan.

Extremely odd though, that my brown ale using s-05 is amazing and fermented even higher.

Latest posts

Back